KRASNOYARSK, January 14 (RIA Novosti) – Authorities in the eastern Siberian region of Krasnoyarsk have sent to court their case against a local man they accuse of staging a cyber-attack last spring against the Russian president’s Web site, the local branch of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said Monday.
Officials in the law enforcement body say the 30-year-old man, who remains unidentified, used hacking software to block access to the presidential Web site on May 9, reportedly in support of the anti-Kremlin street opposition.
The man maintains his innocence and claims he was unaware of the software’s blocking capability, officials said. He could face up to four years in prison if found guilty for the “creation, use and distribution of malicious computer software.”
This is at least the second such case to have emanated from Krasnoyarsk in recent months. Last June, authorities in the Siberian region accused a 19-year-old student of attacking both the president’s and the government’s Web sites in early May.
Officials allege the man watched a video tutorial on hacking, posted by the notorious hacker group Anonymous, for instruction. He reportedly did not deny his involvement in the attack, and was released from house arrest pending further action.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.