"We do not comprehend such a step considering both modern security threats and current relations between Russia and NATO"© RIA Novosti.
- Russia, NATO prepare foreign ministers meeting - Russia's envoy to NATO
- Russia says ready to send helicopters to help NATO in Afghanistan
- Iskander plans in NW Russia not linked to U.S. deployment in Europe
- Russia says may yet deploy Iskander missiles in Baltic exclave
The deployment of Iskander missiles in Russia's northwestern military district is incomprehensible in view of Russia's current relations with NATO, Estonian Defense Minister Jaak Aaviksoo has said.
On Saturday, the chief of Russia's Ground Forces, Col. Gen. Alexander Postnikov, said the Iskander missiles had entered service with the Armed Forces in the Leningrad Military District.
"During the past two decades, NATO has been seeking benevolent mutual understanding in relations with Russia. But benevolence does not mean naivety, that is why Moscow's decision to deploy Iskander missiles in the Kaliningrad region did not surprise us," Aaviksoo said.
"We do not comprehend such a step considering both modern security threats and current relations between Russia and NATO," he said.
The United States scrapped earlier plans last September for an antimissile defense system in the Czech Republic and Poland. Moscow welcomed the move, and President Dmitry Medvedev said later that Russia would drop plans to deploy Iskander-M missiles in its Kaliningrad Region, which borders NATO members Poland and Lithuania.
However, Washington has not given up on its European missile shield initiative. In May, the United States opened a temporary military base in northern Poland, just 80 km (50 miles) from the border of Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad, in accordance with an agreement negotiated under former President George Bush in 2008 – a move which drew much criticism from Russia.
TALLINN, July 20 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailkhalidA snake at the feet,a stick in the hand.11:25, 20/07/2010Anyone who doesn't realise the danger posed by a venomous snake nearby will always die of its snake bite.Anyone who feels that constrictors throw their coils around other animals because they are friendly will surely die of strangulation by the constrictor.
- jwp-survIskander missile deployment in northwestern Russia13:43, 02/08/2011Estonia thinks the placing of Iskander missiles in northwest Russia's military district is incomprehensible. The placing of US missiles in north Poland is also incomprehensible. Perhaps Estonia Defence Minister Aaviskoo can comprehend that and enlighten the rest of us
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is one of the most important foreign policy initiatives taken by Russia along with five other countries. Both Russia and China want to reduce the threat of separatism and western influence in the region. Emergence of SCO provoked new international order.