- Russia to honor deal to sell P-800 anti-ship missiles to Syria
- Israeli defense minister heads to Russia for military talks
- Kremlin denies plans to halt missile sales to Syria (update 1)
- Kremlin denies plans to halt missile sales to Syria
Russian-made mobile anti-ship missile systems sold to Syria could be used to protect a Russian naval supply and maintenance site near Syria's Mediterranean port of Tartus, a Russian arms trade expert said on Monday.
Russia earlier announced it would honor a 2007 contract on the delivery of several Bastion anti-ship missile systems armed with SS-N-26 Yakhont supersonic cruise missiles to Syria, despite U.S. and Israel security concerns.
Syria needs to shield a 600-km stretch of its coastline from potential amphibious assaults.
"One of the purposes of the deployment of Bastion missile systems in Syria is to ensure the protection of the Russian naval site in Tartus," said Igor Korotchenko, head of a Moscow-based think tank on the international arms trade.
The Yakhont missile has a range of 300 kilometers, the capacity to carry a 200-kilogram warhead and the unique ability of being able to cruise several meters above the water surface, making it difficult to detect and intercept.
According to Korotchenko, none of the world's existing warships could thwart a Yakhont missile attack.
The Soviet-era naval maintenance site near Tartus is Russia's only military foothold in the Mediterranean. Russia plans to modernize the facility to accommodate large warships, including missile cruisers and even aircraft carriers after 2012.
MOSCOW, September 20 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pcfContracts17:00, 20/09/2010Russia did well to sell the Yakhont to Syria and honor the 2007 contracts, despite Israel's "displeasure". There are many things the Israeli government does which displease Russia as well.
- email@example.comPrudent to have a good anti ship missile19:45, 20/09/2010It is prudent for Syria to have a good anti ship missile to thwart any attempt any nation from leading an amphibious assault on its shores.
One can never be to prepared to prevent an attack on one's sovereignty no matter where it comes from.
Keeping up militarily is always important to avoid being attacked, invaded and taken over.
- aWay to go Russia01:28, 21/09/2010Way to go Russia!
You are true to yourrself, respecting promises and staying loyal to those who don't betray you!
Respect among nations never stops to grow! Hard times for
God bless eternal Mother Russia and God bless Orthodoxy!
Greetings from Serbia!
- EugênioRussians are welcome!02:34, 21/09/2010BRAZIL: 20/09/2010
The Ministry of Development has agreed to visit a
large Russian business delegation, which will arrive in
Brasilia in early October.
The package deal includes the military a new batch
18 combat helicopters MI-35M, plus three
Tor-M2 antiaircraft batteries.
The Russians bring in the right bag manufacturing
portable Igla missile, which Brazil has tried to produce.
Among the businesses in the civil area, Moscow will offer
communications satellites for commercial aviation and
The Brazilian government takes to deal with the embargo
Russian on Brazilian beef.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The FX-2 was not closed yet, will strengthen the proposal by the Su-35BM and PAK-FA T-50 5th G.
Image Galleries: Traditional Hutsul Wedding in Western Ukraine
Infographics: Jeans: From Classic Designs to Extreme Incarnations
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.