Topic: Russia-NATO summit in Lisbon
- NATO Lisbon summit to see ‘fresh start’ in Russia ties - Rasmussen
- NATO and Russia to talk Afghanistan in Lisbon
- NATO Parliamentary Assembly addresses ties with Russia
- Russia ready to cooperate with NATO on missile defense in interests of all -Lavrov (Update 1)
The decision taken at the forthcoming NATO summit in Lisbon on the launch of European missile defense will satisfy all allies, NATO's official spokesman James Appathurai said on Friday.
Turkey has demanded that the final document on the defense systems does not define particular states as a threat, according to media reports.
Discussions on the topic have mentioned Iran and Syria, countries with which Turkey wishes to maintain warm relations, but which have been described as potential terrorist threats by the United States and other NATO states.
The Turkish leadership hopes that command of a European missile defense system will be based within Turkish territory, as it has been proposed that the missile shield will also be based there.
A decision on its creation is expected to be made by NATO leaders during the first plenary meeting on Friday.
BRUSSELS, November 19 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mrgenieTroje09:14, 22/11/2010"The Turkish leadership hopes that command of a European missile defense system will be based within Turkish territory, as it has been proposed that the missile shield will also be based there." Turkey will be a trojan horse within the alliance. Once the Muslems take over the country, the secular state abandoned, Turkey will be a big problem for NATO, Europe and Russia as well as all other non-islamic states.
Image Galleries: Traditional Hutsul Wedding in Western Ukraine
Infographics: Jeans: From Classic Designs to Extreme Incarnations
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.