Topic: Russian space programs
MOSCOW, September 4 (RIA Novosti)
- Space Center Chief Loses Job over Failed Launches
- Russia Confirms Booster to Blame for Failed Launch
- Fuel Pipe to Blame for Proton Launch Failure - Source
- Space Agency Chief Denies Staff Changes after Proton Failure
- Russia to Suspend Proton Rocket Launches – Space Source
Russia will delay launches of military spacecraft this year because of a failed satellite launch last month, a top defense official said on Tuesday.
The delays will be "insignificant," Russian Space Forces Commander Lt. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko said.
Two telecommunictaions satellites were lost on August 7 due to a failure in the Russian Proton-M rocket's upper stage.
Ostapenko said the launches will be put on hold until the findings of a government probe into the incident are fully looked into, as the Briz-M upper stages are also used to hoist military spacecraft into orbit.
Several senior space officials have been sacked over the failure.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: The World’s Most Notorious Prisons
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.