Moscow is to abandon participation in a decades-old program with the United States aimed at dismantling weapons of mass destruction© RIA Novosti. Sergey Kazak
MOSCOW, October 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian-US 'Reset' Can’t Last Forever - FM Lavrov
- Russian Military Dumps Unified Nuclear Command Plan - media
- Washington Fully Declassifies Cold War Nuclear Plan
- Russia Calls on U.S. to Ratify Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
- U.S. Hails Russia’s Readiness for Nuclear Cuts
The US proposals on extending a decades-old bilateral program aimed at dismantling weapons of mass destruction are out of synch with Moscow’s concept of cooperation in that area, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
“We have received an American proposal on extending the 1992 Agreement, which is due to expire in June 2013,” ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said, referring to the Nunn-Lugar Agreement.
“Our American partners know that their proposal is at odds with our ideas about the forms and basis for building further cooperation in that area.”
“A more modern legal framework” is needed for such interaction, he added.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Russian daily Kommersant quoted sources in the US State Department as saying Russia is no longer interested in the Nunn-Lugar program - also known as the Cooperative Threat Reduction Program (CTR) - which dates back to the early 1990's and helped decommission scores of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
US officials told the paper that their Russian counterparts informed them during a recent meeting that Moscow no longer needs the financial assistance, emphasizing instead the importance of safeguarding state secrets.
The move is the latest in Moscow’s review of its relationship with Washington, and comes after Russia stopped the United States Agency for International Development from working in the country earlier this month.
It also follows comments last week by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that the “reset” policy between Russia and the United States “cannot last forever.”
The CTR program began in 1991, and was extended twice – in 1999 and 2006. The current terms expires in 2013. The United States has reportedly spent an estimated $8 billion on CTR programs.
The program included measures to increase safety at nuclear plants in the former Soviet Union and generating alternative work for former institutes and production facilities which had been involved in making weapons of mass destruction, the CTR website says.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- gunshipdemocracywhy so late? ;-)01:50, 11/10/2012more treaties and Friend of Syria ee Russia types of organizations shall be kicked back to US. Slava !
- lmPutin keep your eyes wide open get more involve military if need be.10:42, 11/10/2012It is essential that Russia quit all such funding programs as this ties Moscow hand on the International Political scene.
To often there are individuals inside Russia who are only too willing to sleep with the West to destroy their own country.
Putin and all Russian’s must know that the fight is coming to Russia one day if Russia doesn’t stop it from reaching its borders by getting more involve inside Syria, Turkey must be taught a lesson because they are only against Assad because of NATO instructions and THE Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. ARROGRANT is only too happy to take the bait because NATO knows how to use its members as fools.
Russia must get more involve military inside Syria because if Syria falls then it is Iran then Russia starting with the Caucasus, oppositions members who has families inside the protective forces will try to sway their minds so that in time of conflict some of the protective forces inside Russia can jump ship on the side with the oppositions.
The Russia leadership cannot just cannot put this taught behind them and must be ever vigilant of the oppositions, NGO’s and all so call helping hands in the name of democracy and civil liberties who say they are helping Russia with outside funding.
Be, also careful of your defense minister he seems to be only too willing to convince the leadership that ships need to be scraped and ships needs foreign furniture’s and not Russian made after al he is a business man!
- kunosouraRussia arm to defend yourself20:54, 13/10/2012Im-- I don*t know it you are Russian, but I hope the Russian people realize what is hppening. Krushchev stood up against U.S. creeping U.S. invasion. From U.S., hopefully President Putin will do the same. Like Hitler, never believe american peace talking.
- kunosouraRussia quits Nunn-Lugar20:27, 13/10/2012Good move, President Putin. Bravo
- kunosouraQuit Nunn-Lugar Program20:45, 13/10/2012Good move Presient Putin. Bravo. Build your armed forces, nuclear deterrents, as quickly as possible. Remember Hitler also talked peace, planning war. Never forget.
Image Galleries: The Royal Path of Russia’s Last Tsar
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.