Russia may deliver a "technical response" to NATO over its plans to deploy a European missile defense program, Rogozin said© RIA Novosti. Alexey Druszinin
MOSCOW, October 18 (RIA Novosti)
- Moscow Issues Point-of-No-Return Warning on Missile Defense
- Poland Wants to Build Missile Defense System with France, Germany
- Poland Calls ‘Mistake’ Cooperation with U.S. over Missile Defense – President
- US State Dept. Urges Russia to Cooperate on Missile Defense
- Putin Pessimistic on Missile Defense Problem
- Obama to 'Move Forward' with Missile Shield - Platform
Russia may deliver a "technical response" to NATO over its plans to deploy a European missile defense program, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Thursday.
"The Russian response [to European missile defense] is currently mostly virtual, political and diplomatic in character, but under certain circumstances we would be forced to deliver a technical response, which I don't think you'll like," Rogozin said at a meeting with NATO's parliamentary assembly in Moscow. Rogozin holds special responsibility for Russia's defense industry and until December 2011 served as Russia's ambassador to NATO.
Russia and NATO agreed on cooperation over European missile defense at a summit in Lisbon, Portugal in 2010, however talks reached deadlock over US refusal to give legal guarantees that the system would not be deployed against Russian deterrents. Moscow said it would take unspecified military, technical, and diplomatic measures in response.
Russia said that if no agreement with NATO is reached over the missile defense issue, it would consider deploying Iskander short-range mobile ballistic missile systems in the Kaliningrad exclave.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmSo true!13:49, 18/10/2012The difference between NATO and Russia is simple, “Russia talk way to much, make to many empty threats, never show any political will to protect it interest and citizen aboard, uses words like “ maybe, we can, but never do anything that can signal Russia is serious”
NATO and the West they act then think in other words to hell with what Russia’s think ,all they do is talk.
- gunshipdemocracyhistorical context after 1990 is missing14:39, 18/10/2012unlike NATO, Russia is not aggressor. Second Russia is and always has been defending citizens abroad. But you need to see is in context of military power projection. Once Russian Navy task force will harbor near Thailand no bribery and illegal Bout extradition took place ever again. That's why MoD yearly budget in 2015 is ~97BLN USD (*1.5 PPP value). Wait some time and yo uwill be amazed.
- Citizen of RomeWhy the confrontation?14:46, 18/10/2012I thought the Cold War was over. Why does the US insist on alienating Russia? Why does Russia insist on having the unchecked ability to nuke Europe to bits?
Why does Russia question the freedom of eastern European nations? Russia as the strongest nation in Europe had its time of dominance, now we should join and work together.
The USA's time of hegemony has already passed away. They should accept it and be more humble. And stop treating Russia as an enemy.
The world we are facing now will have many power centres, let the North be the greatest one.
- arthurborgesHmm18:36, 19/10/2012The US won't budge on this.
Image Galleries: The Royal Path of Russia’s Last Tsar
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.