- Russia to Build New ICBM by 2018 - SMF Chief
- Moscow Issues Point-of-No-Return Warning on Missile Defense
- Russia Test Fires New Ballistic Missile
- Moscow Reiterates Missile Defense Threats
- Russia to Adopt New Liquid Heavy ICBM after 2022 - Expert
MOSCOW, November 21 (RIA Novosti) - Russia will deploy its newest medium-weight solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile in 2014, a military source told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
Previously, Strategic Missile Forces (RSVN) commander Sergei Karakayev said Russia would deploy such a weapon only in 2015.
"According to the latest information, it will be accepted into service in 2014; the new weapon is part of a response program to the United States ballistic missile defense program," the source said, without naming the new system.
The Strategic Missile Forces test-fired a prototype of the new weapon in October from the Kapustin Yar test range, he said. "This was a test launch as part of combined state trials," he said, adding the weapon will be formally accepted only after completion of those trials.
The new weapon will be primarily based on mobile launchers, he said. "So far there has been no decision on whether to base them in silos," he added.
The missile will have intercontinental range, or more than 3,500 miles (5,500 kilometers), he said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.