- Russia Touts New Submarine
- Russia Plans to Raise Lost Submarine
- Russia Dock Fire Submarine Had Nuclear Warheads - Newspaper
- Upgraded Indian Submarine Starts Seas Trials in Russia
MOSCOW, March 5 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Navy will refit, modernize and recommission two Sierra class (Project 945) titanium-hull nuclear-powered attack submarines by 2017, the Zvezdochka shipyard said on Tuesday.
The Sierra class has a light and strong titanium pressure hull, enabling these boats to dive to depths of up to 550 meters (1800 feet) and enhancing their survivability, as well as having a low magnetic signature.
A total of four Project 945 and 945A submarines were built in Russia. In addition to the Karp and the Kostroma, the Pskov and the Nizhny Novgorod were built in the early 1990's and are currently in service with the Northern Fleet.
The K-239 Karp (Carp) was the first Project 945 (Barrakuda) submarine, which entered service with the Soviet Navy in 1984.
The K-276 Kostroma was commissioned in 1986 and had to be repaired after a February 11, 1992 collision with the American submarine USS Baton Rouge (SSN-689) while on patrol off Kildin Island near Severomorsk. The US Navy said the collision occurred more than 12 miles (22 km) from shore, in international waters.
The shipyard signed a modernization contract for the Karp and the Kostroma with the Defense Ministry in December 2012 , a Zvezdochka representative told RIA Novosti.
Karp has been sitting at the shipyard since 1994, he said, adding the submarine’s titanium hull “is in a very good condition” but a significant part of its equipment is missing.
The submarines’ sonar and navigation systems will be replaced and their reactors refuelled, he said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- jozzyozExcellent Retrofit18:47, 05/03/2013This is what saves money money and time while at the same time providing the added work and economic related activity!
- mrgenieChina doesn't need water to conquer siberia23:22, 05/03/2013They simply march into the east and conquer everything up to the Urals..
Russia be better off to invest in land forces and small tactical nuclear weapons in the east.
- jozzyozBe It Siberia or the Black Sea01:41, 06/03/2013That too ... land, maritime landing forces, rapid reaction forces and tactical nuke forces - all of the above! But you are right!
- NikoIt is very simple19:30, 06/03/2013Just one SLMB with few kiloton nuclear warhead lounched from this submarine can effectivly destroy political center in Beijing and push entire Chinese economy into chaos.
It is imposible to invade Russian territory from far east to Urals. You must bring logistics, infrastructure, people to work, mechanization...you can simply send few tactical strategic bombers like SU-34 or TU-22M and bomb the hell out of your enemy on ground and destroy him in no time !
- BugbearRussia concerned with NATO not China20:19, 06/03/2013China and Russia have a mutually beneficial trade situation each other. No reason for war when both are getting richer. Russia has enough trouble with NATO encroachment in the West/South plus the Caucasus region.
Water non issue just desalinate
- Wolfgang9Hm, I wonder15:20, 06/03/2013where that went to???
hull “is in a very good condition” but a significant part of its equipment is missing.
Image Galleries: Monkeys from Borneo and Other Animal News
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.