- Russia Plans Black Sea Fleet Rearmament – Ukrainian Minister
- Missile Sub Rejoins Russia’s Northern Fleet After Refit
- Russia Sends Naval Chaplains to Baltic Fleet
- Russia’s Northern Fleet Looks Ahead to International Drills
- Russian Navy Plans to Revamp Its Fleet of Auxiliary Ships
- Borey Class Subs to be Deployed in Russian North, Pacific Fleets
MOSCOW, March 17 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Navy will maintain 5-6 warships in the Mediterranean Sea as a task force to defend Russia’s interests in the area, Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Sunday.
"Up to five-six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis and control must be exercised through the command of the [Russian] Black Sea Fleet,” Chirkov said in an interview with the Zvezda TV network run by the Defense Ministry.
The Russian Navy’s Mediterranean task force will comprise frigates and cruisers, as well as support vessels, he said.
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Monday a decision to deploy a permanent naval task force in the Mediterranean had been made.
“I believe that we have the capability to form and maintain such a task force,” Shoigu said, citing the success of recent large-scale naval drills carried out by the Russian navy in the Mediterranean and Black seas.
The exercises involved warships from the Northern, Baltic, Black Sea and Pacific fleets, strategic bombers and naval infantry.
Shoigu did not mention, however, a timeline for the deployment of the new task force, which would likely require significant effort to ensure efficient logistics and the proper maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean group.
The Soviet Union maintained its 5th Mediterranean Squadron in that sea from 1967 until 1992. It was formed to counter the US Navy 6th Fleet during the Cold War, and consisted of 30-50 warships and auxiliary vessels at different times.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- akbarA pen is mightier than a sword21:47, 18/03/2013To uphold the right to free speech in Russia is a vital part of Russian justice and security.It is also the true representation of her social strength,openness and her absolute sovereignty.RT English news channel website was reformed few weeks ago and as a result bloggers have been limited to express themselves in less than 100 letters and as a result the biggest looser happened to be the true friends of Russia and real Russophiles.Its good to be strong in Mediterranean sea but it is better to have total media freedom which is much more powerful than all the Russian's fleet worldwide.President Putin,would kindly liberate RT from western influences and allow it to be a true beacon of hope for the oppressed nations of our world village.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is one of the most important foreign policy initiatives taken by Russia along with five other countries. Both Russia and China want to reduce the threat of separatism and western influence in the region. Emergence of SCO provoked new international order.