TBILISI, October 22 (RIA Novosti)
- Georgian Minister-Designate Sees Leaner, Meaner Army
- Russia Hopes Georgia Will Improve Relations With Neighbors
- Georgia to Improve Relations with Russia - Minister
- Russia Hopes to Improve Ties with Georgia After Vote
- Due West: Georgian President Stuns Russia’s Leadership
- Kadyrov Hopes to Improve Relations with Georgia after Vote
Georgia should stop criticizing Russia and creating new problems in bilateral relations, Georgian parliament speaker David Usupashvili said on Monday.
“We shouldn’t be making pinpricks that gratify us for two days but create two-year problems,” Usupashvili, who is also leader of the Republic Party, said in an interview with RIA Novosti.
“We should abandon the role of crusader with regard to ‘undemocratic Russia.’”
The Georgian parliament met on Sunday for the first time since the October 1 election, won by the Georgian Dream coalition led by billionaire Bidzina Ivanishvili, which has secured 85 out of 150 seats in parliament.
The new ruling coalition does not as yet have a “road map” for the normalization of relations with Russia but it has a “concept” of how that should be done, Usupashvili said.
Tbilisi broke off diplomatic relations with Moscow after the August 2008 war with Russia over the breakaway republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
Georgia should continue its efforts to join NATO and the EU, he added, but in such a way that Russia understands “this is not a loss for it but a logical historical process.”
On Friday, Georgian deputy prime minister/defense minister-designate Irakly Alasania said the new government will seek to strengthen bilateral ties with Abkhazia and South Ossetia and improve ties with Russia. The dialogue could be mediated by Germany, which is an EU leader and “a country that has always had an excellent relationship both with Russia and with Georgia,” Alasania said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistJumping from one extreme to the other...18:34, 22/10/2012...like the Sovjet & Warsaw pact to €USSR & NATO is not a " a logical historical process" it´s utter stupidity. €U lies in tatters and rags and will soon enough be a very dead horse. The only thing you can hope for is sending your citizens to die for israel and €U´s colonial adventures aimed at a futile attempt to restore it´s former blood-stenched glory. The Baltic´s expected to become instant millionaires. Look at them now, ruined and resorting to fascism. NATO dont look after it´s hosts, it strangles them and move´s on to next victim.
In light of the present situation in the Middle East, Russia and Israel find themselves facing common challenges. Under these newly emerging situations, Russia sees its partnership with Israel as a potential asset in resolving acute regional issues. From a Russian perspective, the compatibility of Israeli and Russian interests could contribute to such a partnership.