DONETSK, Ukraine, September 24 (RIA Novosti)
- Klitschko Downs Charr, Retains WBC Title
- Klitschko and Charr Square Up at Weigh-In
- Charr: Promoters Would Have Prevented Klitschko Shot
- Klitschko: I'll Punish Narcissistic Charr [Correction]
- Klitschko: Charr Could Break His Teeth in Title Fight
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko appeared to announce his retirement from the ring on Monday, possibly calling time on a dominant 16-year career.
The 41-year-old former WBO champion announced to a news conference that "I don't intend to fight," though it was unclear in what context the remark was meant to be taken.
"To boxing-lovers everywhere I can say that the Ukrainian flag will be raised and the anthem will be played when Klitschko enters the ring," he said. "But if you mean me, then I don't intend to fight," he added, referring to his younger brother Wladimir, holder of the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles.
"I have a brother, who is very similar to me and more talented, more youthful," Vitali Klitschko said.
He had hinted that his September 8 defeat of Manuel Charr could be his last pro fight before focusing on his fledgling career in politics.
Nicknamed Dr. Ironfist, Klitschko has a record of 45 victories with 41 knockouts along with two defeats.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.