- NATO to take overall control of Libyan mission - top EU diplomat
- Russia ready to mediate in Libya conflict - Medvedev
- NATO to enforce Libya arms embargo
- Fillon says French flag raised over rebel-held Benghazi
The Libyan opposition is likely to topple Muammar Gaddafi with the military support of international forces, U.S. President Barack Obama said in an interview with CNN.
"Gaddafi may try to hunker down and wait it out even in the face of a no-fly zone, even though his forces have been degraded," Obama said.
"But keep in mind that we don't just have military tools at our disposal, in terms of accomplishing Gaddafi's leaving: we put in place strong international sanctions, we've frozen his assets, we will continue to apply a whole range of pressure on him," he added.
Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with ABC News that Gaddafi was "exploring" options of quitting.
"And we would encourage that," she added.
She did not confirm media reports that at least one of Gaddafi's sons died, saying that "the evidence is not sufficient."
NATO member states including the United States, Britain and France are continuing air strikes against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces. Libyan state television has reported that at least 60 civilians have so far been killed in the attacks.
WASHINGTON, March 23 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgMuammar Gaddafi will have to step down06:28, 23/03/2011When the United States, Britain, France, Canada and the rest of NATO are against you there is no alternative for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to step down peacefully and with dignity.
In today's modern world of high technology weapons and currency controls there is just no way for Muammar Gaddafi to win this one.
Better to stand down under a set of conditions and retire with dignity.
Yes Muammar Gaddafi and his supporters can fight to the bitter end and die, but what is the point.
Life is short enough as it is. A dead Muammar Gaddafi does not do his people any good. Dead Libyans of Muammar Gaddafi cannot procreate and this is just what invaders want. The best way to get even with invaders is get married, have kids, and make more Libyans.
Let Muammar Gaddafi step down peacefully and let the bloodshed end.
Every regime needs a new face to lead every 4 or 5 years. A person with new ideas to lead a country forward into peace and prosperity.
Muammar Gaddafi has had a long reign in Libya. Power and control is always hard to let go. It's a drug and once a man has tasted it he just wants more and more and more to the detriment of his people.
So the people of Libya need to help their former leader Muammar Gaddafi to let go of his power and retire so that he can enjoy the rest of his life enjoying the company of his fellow Libyans. There is no shame in that. Step down with dignity Muammar Gaddafi and enjoy your remaining years with your people. Let a new young charismatic leader take the reigns and lead Libya once again to prosperity and prominence.
- pcfmurderers10:07, 23/03/2011NATO and the USA are a rabble of imperialistic, neo-colonial murderers, self-anointed world police. MUAMMAR GADDAFI will certainly not step down. International murderers having murdered billions of people in so many wars have no right to decide on the fate of another sovereign state.
DISMANTLE NATO !
- KatNATO13:14, 23/03/2011NATO is the largest CRIMINAL ORGANISATION in the world. The genocide committed by them and their leader member US is an outrage.
Who ever and whatever government has some power they should STOP THEM NOW!
STOP COALITION MURDERERS!!!
- pcfRIGHT - KAT !15:15, 23/03/2011What all citizens of the world can do: Boycott the USA and NATO countries by not buying their merchandise, not using their currency, not reading and watching their mainstream media. Liars, all of them ! Boycott also traveling to the USA or NATO country. Let them suffocate in their own dirt.
Image Galleries: New "Watercolors" Train Exhibition in the Moscow Metro
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.