MOSCOW, March 25 (RIA Novosti)
- NATO Base in Russia 'Pragmatic Decision' – Analysts
- Gov't Yet to Decide on Ulyanovsk NATO Transit Base - Lavrov
- Rogozin Responds to Fears of 'NATO Base’ in Russia
- Russia, NATO Prepare New Afghanistan Transit Deal – Media
- NATO Chief Hails Russia’s Commitment to Stable Ties
- Moscow Wants Missile Defense Talks at NATO Summit
- Russia to Build Effective Shield against NATO Missile Threat – Rogozin
The U.S. missiles planned for basin in Europe have no capability against Russian missiles, U.S. Ambassador to Moscow Michael McFaul said on his Twitter account on Sunday.
“Our missiles planned for basing in Europe will not be aimed at Russia and have no capability against Russian missiles,” McFaul said.
On Friday, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said time was running out for the West to come up with new proposals to secure Russia's agreement to a missile defense shield in Europe.
"We have time (for an agreement) but it is running out, and I think that it would be in our mutual benefit to reach mutually acceptable agreements," Medvedev told a security conference.
Moscow is unconvinced by NATO's argument that the planned missile defense shield was intended as protection against a missile attack by countries such as Iran, Medvedev added.
Despite the fact that relations between NATO and Moscow have grown sour lately over the European missile shield plans, the sides have cooperated closely in the war in Afghanistan and in a number of anti-drug and anti-piracy missions.
Moscow is preparing to allow NATO to use an airport in Ulyanovsk, the birthplace of Russian revolutionary Vladimir Lenin, to transit soldiers and military cargo to and from Afghanistan ahead of the alliance’s pullout from the war-torn Central Asian state.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- sagbotgamot(no title)21:22, 25/03/2012'You can fool all the russians some of the time and some few russians all the time but you cannot fool Vladimir Putin'
- lmWe are all wasting out time here..09:00, 26/03/2012Why are we all wasting our time on defending Russia with our pens while Russia itself is doing nothing meaningful to alter its status in foreign policy, they just rely on their Veto power and talking tough but still looking for hands out what a mess. The West will always wrap Russia around it little finger showering it with praises of sweet words. PUTIN PLEASE PUT A STOP TO THIS ENIGMA
- jgIntention vs. reality23:05, 25/03/2012It may well be that the missile shield may be intended for use against missiles from Iran but the fact remains that it could also be used against missiles from any country in the region, including Russia. Whilst the shield may be designed to defend against small numbers of simple missiles and would likely be overwhelmed by the numbers and sophistication of Russian missiles, the fact remains that it does alter the balance of nuclear weapons. The missile shield should have been included in the current STAR Treaty i.e. the numbers of weapons on the US side should be further reduced in line with the numbers of Russian weapons that could be neutralised by the missile shield.
- lmTime and time again Russia is been made to look weak.16:51, 26/03/2012Russia was out foxed by the STAR Treaty simple as that.
- mrgenieAbsolutely not23:02, 28/03/2012There's enough technology in the west to take down rocket technology 1960-1970 and earlier. There's no known tech to take down rocket tech after that period. Atm, Iran is at 1955, Russia is at 1995 (and upgrading) so no worries, the west can't take down Russian missiles.. but it can in fact take down mullah rockets
- nicoleMc Faul01:53, 26/03/2012That is a Faul Cry,
you can ONLY fool Americans and Europeans, We are RUSSIANS.
- lmThere all Russia will never listen to the common man in the streets.08:01, 26/03/2012Moscow is preparing to allow NATO to use an airport in Ulyanovsk, the birthplace of Russian revolutionary Vladimir Lenin, to transit soldiers and military cargo to and from Afghanistan ahead of the alliance’s pullout from the war-torn Central Asian state.
Russia should know full well once they open the gate it’s hard to get them to leave, we can write all we want Russia will never listen, and Russia is a punching bag in foreign policy.
I am tired of writing of Russia because it’s useless they all time get out fox by the West all ways.
Putin will have to do something different he has too.
- wulfranoWWIII08:05, 26/03/2012@ McFool. That's why I keep telling Dmitry not to worry. Herewith my message.
Dear Dmitry. Fear not. Conventional wars will continue until Russia's oil and gas become property of the Rockefeller Empire. In the meantime, no one will be stupid enough to push the red button of a thermonuclear World War III. Nobody wants a radioactive planet. So sleep well tonight. Thank you.
- wulfranoWWIII08:08, 26/03/2012Now if Dmitry wants to do it, here's what. Put "defensive" russian missiles in Cuba.
- Szabolcs"Defensive" Russian missiles in Cuba and/or Venezuela11:58, 26/03/2012I fully agree with Wulfrano's comment:Russia should put "defensive" missiles (preferably "against Iran" (sic!) in Cuba and Venezuela and counter any objections by the US regime with the same insincere bullshit talk that this individual McFoul produces! The US regime is entirely insincere and attempts to lead Russia by its nose! Mr.Putin please do something to saveguard Russia's interest against the US robber barons which are stretching their blood stained hands towards the natural resources of Russia!
- nicoleHow can you?13:33, 26/03/2012Put NATO base inside Russia? NATO was created Against USSR, NATO who killed thousands of USSR soldiers in Afghanistan by supplying weapon to Taliban, NATO is pushing its border towards East, NATO is the one who is behind all these ANTI Putin opposition rallies.
Until this news came along about NATO base in Ulyanovsk, I thought and belied and supported Putin.
I do not trust Putin anymore.
Inviting ENEMY inside your house is NO NO NO, in Any language or any country or even small tribe, not even any stupid people will do this, while RUSSIA is doing this?
I can not believe it.
NO NATO BASE IN RUSSIA.
Image Galleries: The Russian Cities With the Best Quality of Life
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.