Topic: Russia's WTO entry
WASHINGTON, June 15 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Ready to Ratify WTO Agreements
- Russia to Focus on National Aims After Joining WTO
- U.S. to Debate Jackson-Vanik after Russia Ratifies WTO Deal
- Russia admitted to WTO; Jackson-Vanik set to terminate
- Protests in Syria
The disagreements between Washington and Moscow on ways to settle the current political crisis in Syria will not stand in the way of Russia’s accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO), the White House said.
“We support Russia’s accession to the WTO and we support measures that need to be taken to help bring that about,” Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Thursday.
“The fact that we have disagreements with Russia on some matters -- Syria being one of them right now -- does not mean that we cannot move forward with the Russians on areas where we agree or where we are able to see more eye-to-eye,” Carney said.
The accession package of the Russian Federation to the WTO was signed on December 16, 2011 at the Eighth Ministerial Conference of the world trade body. Russia becomes a member 30 days after the WTO is informed that the accession package has been ratified domestically.
The lower house of the Russian parliament, the State Duma, may ratify the country's accession to the WTO by July 20.
After the ratification of the accession package by Russia, the U.S. Congress is expected to debate the abolition of the Cold War-era Jackson-Vanik Amendment, which limits trade with Russia and is an obstacle to the application of WTO rules between the two countries.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecFunny guy07:18, 15/06/2012Carney talks as if White House was in charge of the WTO. Meanwhile, the WTO is a n international organization built on agreements between member governments. Americans, once again, believe that they own the world.
- SirkoAmericans Speak With Forked Tongue23:08, 15/06/2012They are in charge of it. Why do you think the world uses the American dollar as the standard instead of gold. Do you know the advantage that gives them. Their filthy lucre was also in charge of the World Development Bank pre WW I. Of course like all American politicians he is lying. Her bid will depend on how much she cow tows to them...
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.