Topic: Protests in Syria
Russia and China should be told that they will pay a price for support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Clinton said© REUTERS/ Mike Theiler
MOSCOW, July 6 (RIA Novosti)
Russia and China should be told that they will pay a price for support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told a Paris meeting on Syria on Friday.
"I ask you to reach out to Russia and China and to not only urge, but demand that they get off the sidelines and begin to support the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people," Clinton told a Friends of Syria meeting attended by over 100 countries.
"I don't think Russia and China believe they are paying any price at all, nothing at all, for standing up on behalf of the Assad regime,” Clinton went on, as cited by French media. “The only way that will change is if every nation represented here directly and urgently makes it clear that Russia and China will pay a price, because they are holding up progress."
Russia and China, which were not represented at the meeting, have has twice vetoed United Nations resolutions against Syria. Moscow said the resolutions betrayed a pro-rebel bias and would do nothing to stop the violence that has claimed over 10,000 lives since an uprising against Assad began in March 2011.
And President Vladimir Putin has also made it clear that the Kremlin will not sanction UN military intervention to stop what Western powers say is the brutal suppression of the revolt.
But Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said last month that Russia had no special interest in seeing Assad remain in power. He also said that continuing weapons deliveries to Syria were of an “exclusively” defensive nature.
Russia and China have both backed UN envoy Kofi Annan’s six-point peace plan for Syria, which went into force in April, but has failed to stop the killings.
The UN estimated in May that around 10,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a revolt against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a London-based organization with a network of activists in Syria, has since revised the toll to around 16,500.
The UN Human Rights Council passed a resolution later on Friday condemning the Syrian authorities for what it said were violations of human rights during the conflict. The resolution was approved by 41 members of the council, with Russia, China and Cuba voting against.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmVery rude..14:56, 06/07/2012So Russia is been threaten this time from high up, what will be Russia's response?
- free_mind50(no title)16:39, 06/07/2012Russia holds the advantage for a variety of reasons. Russia is at the systemic stage of what I term active potential and will reach standard potential by or before 2020 and by 2030 reach optimal potential.
China is at the stage of optimal potential with the propensity for hyper potential in the next decade or so and most of Europe and the dominant western countries are back to fixed potential states. The countries of Africa are fluctuating between null and fixed potential and Latin America is at a state of active potential.
Russia holds the advantage-geographically, economically and politically-What Russia does not do is parade this on the international stage through questionable endless wars.
Russia does not have numerical superiority with ships or some fighter planes, but it does have superiority with its ammunition and the modes, means and methods of using them, which is enough to counter moving and mobile formations of ground, air and sea.
does it need to use this at the moment, no, becaus e the greatest advantage Russia has now is political and economic with regards to the international security-
The law of diminishing marginal utility has kicked in and the appetite of the international community to open up another war front has diminished-if one does open the another ware front, uncalculated risks will be appear in exposing 4-5 main elements with regards to international and national sovereignty, which Russia will be able to exploit very positive way with a very positive outcome.
my humble observations, nothing more
- kylesvetSick Woman16:55, 06/07/2012Any one who listen to this woman is the problem in a nutshell! When she is called the pit-bull for the USA that is actually being nice to her. She thrives on America, the America that kills innocents to satisfy its means...
It makes me sick when I see America acting like this in the worlds eyes and this is an example of why the world has huge doubts about whether America is morally capable of leading the world...
Peace and harmony is the answer not war on every corner...
- moistinsignificant figure18:28, 06/07/2012Hitlery is insignificant at this stage. A stooge. best is to demand an explanation from the israeli squatting regime pulling her strings directly.
- SirkoAmerican Vampire18:54, 06/07/2012The world knows who is behind all this. In the fragmentation of Yugoslavia the U.S. and its Wart NATO where behind the destruction of Yugoslavia and even brought in foreign Muslim terrorists from Al Qaeda and even from Chechnia. Don't forget that the Chechen terrorists were America's pals at the time. The Bosnians are Serbs and still speak Serbo-Croatian who were converted to Islam by force under the Ottoman empire. The NATO Rats dismembered Yugoslavia because they feared its potential preeminence in Europe. The main objective was based on removing a powerful Russian ally on the Mediterranean Sea which could avail Russia unlimited naval bases. The same scenario is playing out in Syria. Syria is the lynch pin in the Mid East and a Russian ally. Listening to that heinous American BITCH whose entire body is drenched with blood lying is enough to make the entire planet vomit with disgust. The cause of all this mayhem unleashed upon the world by the western bankster fascist are Gorbachev the mole and Yeltsin the drunk. When the Big Red Machine was around the imperialist did not dare pull this crap. They were busy filling their pants with it...:-)
The only people who do not get the truth about the issues in the Mid East are the ones who are brainwashed by the propaganda in the western mass media. They are fed an hourly diet of lies. Especially, the American mass media. Little wonder the most uninformed people an the planet are Americans. A proven fact!!!
Lavrov and the rest are all weenies for not attacking her publicly and forcing her to account and to explain the policies of successive American regimes since the RAT Reagan. The successive wars they have caused and been involved with from the invasion of the little island of Granada in the Caribbean, to thousands they killed in Panama, to the destruction of Yugoslavia and creation of illegal states such as Kosovo, stolen from Serbia, to Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Libya, to Syria and a litany of others in the history of the U.S. Simply Google American Intervention and hold your breath. That B-with-an-ITCH is simply obeying her Zionist masters.
In Iraq alone one million Iraqis died under the evil boot of American imperialism and some three million wounded or maimed were refugees. But the Ant-Christ Clinton is whining about the alleged ten thousand Syrians who have perished albeit at her bloody hands.
That is the price which has to be paid for. The U.S has much to atone for and its people unlike the Americans of FDR's time have been converted into 'anthropoda', human cattle as Plato put it.
"The rich will always find a way to reduce the children of the poor to the level of human cattle so they might the better be exploited." Plato
Hitlery Clinton is a blood sucking vampire who would eat her own child if she thought it would give her more power and wealth. She is the epitome of evil. But then is she not the creation of 'the American Dream' and an alleged Democratic Society....Hahahahaha...!!!
- SirkoMoist....Dead On!!!18:58, 06/07/2012Ah! How refreshing it is to see that there are people here who do not get their news, en mass form the American Mass Propaganda Media...CNN, MSNBC..Fox Seig Hiel Fascist News....etc...
- PlutardsUSA retreating tactics out of the Mideast.19:20, 06/07/2012The statement by Hillary Clinton that Russia and China will pay a price about Syria is a RETREATING TACTICS of the USA from the Middle-East. The American Priority nowadays is the Asia-Pacific with 60% of the United States military to be deployed in the Asia-Pacific.
- mishkaLet her punish her husband for Monica Levinski first.20:18, 06/07/2012Unfortunately they can punish Russia under current conditions. As far as Russia plays in the game USrael is the referee, it has to loose. Chessboard can be seen very well on the world map USrael does not care Syria, Iran or any other 3. th world country. The main and final target is RUSSIA. USrael is conducting a surrounding operation for a decade by destroying resistant regimes in order. I am sorry Russia will be deserved to be in big trouble because of it did not prevent the circumstance to be so dramatic before. If a wolf eats your neighbour and if you ignore, you should know you will be the next victim. Nobody in the world believes their lies no more. Democracy warior USrael?!?! FUNNY. Their best friends Saudi Arabia, Quatar, Bahrain are democratic administrations? NEVER. Even ladies dont have a right to drive a car in Saudi Arabia. USrael sales and even presentes advanced weapons for billions of dollars to them. Thousands of people in Syria are being killed but how can I be sure by whome? Just today there was a news in Turkish media that an Israeli army general threats Lebanon with a giant and destructive attack. They wrote he said it would be more cruel, stronger and effective raid then 2. nd Lebanon war in 2006. According to the news of Turkish newspaper Hurriyet, he even talks about Goldstone report and tells they ignore such things. Really I remember UN have never stop them to make massacres in Palestine territories during history. Guess with whome support? How many times Clinton's imperialist aggrassive country provided Israel to continue to conduct massacres? How many civilians have been killed by USraeli bullets in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Palestine only in just decade? It s shocking she does not feel any shame for her words. USrael is getting more and more dangeous for humankind and I am afraid now even Russia does not have a power to counterbalance it. Clinton's country will realy punish Russia and then start to hunt nations in order. I am afraid we all will pay of Russians mistake to be lazy vodka drinkers since S.U. and cause a huge gap in defence capability with USrael. We will all be unprotected sheeps are eaten by the wolf as humankind. For further , you may visit my blog at http://foreignermishka.blogspot.com/
- bielecShe is mad...20:39, 06/07/2012...because she had lost the Geneva Conference on Syria. Totally.
Now, her brain cells are sparking and the smoke is coming out of her vampire ears.
Who is she anyway, if she thinks she can "punish" sovereign states for having independent foreign policies? She is clearly having an issue here. Should see a doctor... soon... the sooner the better.
- AndrewThomasPay the price by buying US Treasury Bonds?21:17, 06/07/2012Looks like Hillary has her hand out again, asking Russia and China to buy more US Treasury Bonds; to plug up that massive budget hole from all their wasteful defense spending.
- SirkoMolodyets and Then Some!!!...:-)01:50, 07/07/2012"Molodyets" and then some! I come by it naturally from my Cossack ancestor..Hahahaha...! I am a lover of the truth and we never take a step back. "Nyi odyin shag nazad."
As my great grandfather used to say. "We do not struggle against a particular people but against principalities of EVIL and that is what this sick B-with-an-Itch represents. No person with a modicum of decency would possibly stoop to her level...
- SirkoNovosti...01:54, 07/07/2012Need to to have a proper forum where people can discuss these issues in depth instead of chasing the particular article through their convoluted system...Does their robot make these decisions..??
- mishkaYou may visit my blog13:10, 07/07/2012Dear Sirko if there is such forum you know, I would like to involve the discussion. If you use or if you will find such a forum for the people are agianst devil empire please inform me and let come there. And would you lşke to visit my blog at http://foreignermishka.blogspot.com/
- lmPutin it is time to draw the line14:13, 08/07/2012Clinton is way over the line and needs to put in her place, yet still Russia must draw the line here and not let this pass by as just another miss slip of the tounge. More on this later.
Image Galleries: The World’s Most Notorious Prisons
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.