MOSCOW, July 10 (RIA Novosti)
- US State Dept. Urges Russia to Cooperate on Missile Defense
- U.S. Missile Defense Plans Hinder New Arms Cuts - Russia
- Putin Pessimistic on Missile Defense Problem
- Putin: Russia Ready to Respond to U.S. Missile Defense
The chief of Russia's Armed Forces General Staff, Gen. Nikolai Makarov, will arrive on Tuesday to the United States on a three-day working visit focusing on U.S. missile defense plans, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
“Gen. Nikolai Makarov will pay a working visit to the United States on July 10-13,” a spokesman for the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
“He will hold talks with U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey,” the official said. “The talks will focus on the discussion of the U.S. missile defense plans.”
Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on July 6 that Gen. Makarov would “make yet another attempt to explain [Russia’s] stance on missile defense at least at a chief of staff level."
He warned that Russia would not ignore the deployment of the elements of the U.S. missile defense in Europe and would respond adequately to any threats to its security.
Russia has retained staunch opposition to the planned deployment of U.S. missile defense systems near its borders, claiming they would be a security threat. NATO and the United States insist that the shield would defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran and would not be directed at Russia.
Moscow insists it should receive legal guarantees from Washington that its European missile defense shield will not target Russia's strategic nuclear forces.
The agenda of the talks between Makarov and his U.S. counterpart will also include the discussion of bilateral military cooperation, and joint assessment of regional and global security.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- free_mind50(no title)00:48, 10/07/2012Russia security can only be guaranteed by the its proposal and missile defense as it knows the means and capabilities and intentions of the missiles which is planned to surround it. The west has no cards to play with regards to this dilema and is only engaging in wishful thinking in its intent to try and fool Russia
- lmThe big visit...07:51, 10/07/2012Let’s see where this visit is heading? Something smells fishy, looks like a climb down.
free mind50 nice post but does Russia really act in a way that would let others think twice or does Russia if i may say let the West and NATO threat Russia as they does now because of the Kremlin attitude towards it foreign interest which is base on endless talking and empty response?
- SirkoWishful Thinking with a Tin Cup07:38, 10/07/2012When the western fascists have fragmented your country, alienated you from your allies globally, have taken over your former Warsaw Pact members, destabilized and fragmented an important ally such as Yugoslavia, have surrounded you with missiles and are working ceaselessly in the geopolitical sphere, the military sphere and the economic sphere to completely emasculate you this is not an illusion but reality..
All the Kremlin seems to be capable of is talk, and talk and talk and more talk. The same scenario is being played out today with America and its Wart NATO as was done with the German fascists. Little wonder Papa Joe purged the military for their stupidity.
I suggest the Kremlin gets rid of the endless number of tin cups and stops begging at the street corner. Written binding guarantees count for bat shit. The only thing that gets the attention of the western 'bankster" imperialist is the threat of superior force. I have said this many times. Forget the fascist regimes in America. It is the Pole who would sell his own mother for the price of cheap hooker who is behind all this missile crap. Russia needs to put its economic and energy 'boot' on the neck of the Pole. Turn off the switch. Sell them nothing especially resources and energy. Let the bastards freeze in the dark...
- lmKremlin talks to much too much and shows no actions..14:48, 10/07/2012Again there is more talking from the Kremlin but no tangible or meaningful actions that would send a strong message to the perpetrators?
Gazprom Ranked Among Most Non-Transparent Global Companies - TI the news said.
Was the above a political statement or a natural one base on sound evidence?
Russian Army Chief Starts Visit to the United States the news said.
Is the above a mission to beg, looking for sympathy or to draw a red line?
No Russian Arms Supplies to Syria ‘Until Stabilization the news said.
Is the above a trap to draw Assad wrath or is it a climb down as suspected?
The Kremlin keep saying time after time the West needs Russia to solve world issues, we need each other to solve world issues and things along those line. While time after time the West shows Russia physically, orally, and diplomatically they are not needed but selectively only.
What is the Kremlin suffering from diplomatic niceties, whiles their interest gets kicked around?
The president is right most of the criticism is made from outside but who gave that perception in the first place? The Kremlin is yet to convince not only me but others that they are serious about protecting its interest in a way that would draw a line/respect.
I do offer an apology here because I mean to offend no one, Russia and its people are rich in everything, but the Kremlin talks to much, and as the saying goes empty vessels makes the most noise.
I would not be surprise if Iran says sorry Russia but you are too weak, because the Kremlin is suffering from cancer of the conscience.
Syria is the last stop for Russia and if they capitulate it would spell disaster for Russia on the International arena which will reverberate thru the CIS and other countries who would see Russia as a hopeless case when it comes to protecting its interest offering only talk but no actions.
And this is the paradox of it all 70% of the criticism is been instigated from within because Russia refuses to step up to the task of showing leadership ,it does not matter if the West say Russia is on the wrong side of things/history the point that has to be made is that Russia must stand up, show a more determine will power to go the distance, use its military over seas not just talk of it whiles the military is sitting in there barracks, not just talk of an independent foreign policy but cannot show it outside the UNSC.
I am a 100% sure many countries who sit silently for fear of reprisals would welcome privately Russia’s return as a major world player and would seek closer relationship, but until that step is taken everyone watches Syria and Iran for Russia determination to protect its interest and not just settle for bread crumbs as in Libya’s case.
Most of the criticism is frustration been vented at Russia for not doing what it should do, to protect others. Sometimes words are not enough a stronger hand is needed, a hand many is begging for but gets only support of talk and more talk from the Kremlin.
Does one really think Clinton words were a slip of the tongue?
- PETEPETEPETEBeware the Polonium in your food mr. Makarov20:06, 10/07/2012Take your own water and food supply and beware all those electronic gizmos that are spying on you.
- SirkoExcellent Point22:17, 10/07/2012Either polonium or Zionist graft money. I think the American capitalistas and Zionist banksters are putting the screws to Russia economically. They could not do that to the USSR it was not based on a market bullshiteconomy. That is why the Kremlin suffers from verbal diarrhea.
In light of the present situation in the Middle East, Russia and Israel find themselves facing common challenges. Under these newly emerging situations, Russia sees its partnership with Israel as a potential asset in resolving acute regional issues. From a Russian perspective, the compatibility of Israeli and Russian interests could contribute to such a partnership.