Topic: Protests in Syria
UNITED NATIONS, July 19 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Says West’s UN Syria Resolution Supports Rebels
- Russia Submits ‘Enhanced’ Draft Resolution on Syria
- U.S. Hopes Russia Will Back Tougher Syria Resolution
- UN Syria Resolution ‘Unacceptable’ - Moscow
- Russia Submits Draft Syria Observer Resolution to UN
- Syria Neighbors Should Be Involved in Conflict Resolution - Putin
- Moscow Urges Swift UN Resolution on Syrian Observers
Russia and China vetoed on Thursday a Western-backed UN resolution on Syria over fears that it could lead to foreign military intervention in the violence-wracked Middle East country.
"We offered flexibility on Russia and China's concerns, but still they refused to engage," said Britain's UN envoy Mark Lyall Grant after the vote. "They have chosen to put their national interests ahead of the lives of millions of Syrians."
Lyall Grant also said the failure to approve the resolution would lead to "all-out civil war."
Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin called the comments "unacceptable" and accused the West of thinking only of "its own geopolitical interests, which have nothing in common with those of the Syrian people."
United States envoy to the UN, Susan Rice, called the failure of the reolution "a dark day."
"We have missed yet another critical opportunity to work together," she said. "We, and especially the people of Syria, cannot afford to miss anymore."
Rice also said the conflict in Syria could result in a "proxy war that will engulf the region."
The resolution was drawn up by Britain and threatens non-military sanctions against President Bashar al-Assad's regime if it fails to withdraw heavy weapons and troops from urban areas within 10 days. The resolution is also tied to Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, which provides for the use of force to put an end to the rapidly escalating conflict. It received 11 votes in favor, with two abstentions.
The 15-strong Security Council now has until midnight on Friday to come to an agreement on the extension of the UN monitoring mission in Syria. Russia had earlier circulated a rival resolution that proposed extending the mission by 90 days, but contained no mention of sanctions.
Churkin said on Thursday that Western countries had refused to work with Russia on the resolution and that Moscow would not put it to a Security Council vote.
This was the third time that Russia and China had vetoed a UN resolution on Syria, and Lyall Grant accused both countries after the vote of failing in their responsibilities as permanent members of the UN Security Council.
Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed earlier this year not to allow a repeat of the “Libya scenario" which saw the ouster and murder of long-time Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi after a NATO military campaign.
And Russia said on Wednesday after a suicide bombing in Damascus had killed the Syrian defense minister that the adoption of the West’s resolution would be “direct support” for rebel forces, who say they have launched the final battle for control of the capital.
Moscow-based analyst Fyodor Lukyanov said before the vote that a failure to pass the resolution could see the open arming of rebel forces by Western powers.
“If there is no compromise, there will be no more resolutions, and the West, along with leading Arab states, will begin to more actively and more openly support the opposition and hope that Assad will be toppled by force,” said Lukyanov, editor-in-chief of the Russia in Global Affairs journal.
“Certain countries might also recognize the [opposition] Syrian National Council as the legal government,” he added.
The White House on Thursday criticized the vetoes of Russia and China as "highly regrettable" and "highly unfortunate".
White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One: "They are on the wrong side of the Syrian people, the wrong side of hope for peace and stability in the region," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters after the vetoes were cast in New York. "It was a highly regrettable decision."
Carney also said the United States does not support extending the U.N. observer mission in Syria after the failure of the Western-backed U.N. resolution.
Fighting raged in Damascus for a fifth day on Thursday, as rumors circulated that Assad and his family had left the country. But Syrian state television aired footage on Thursday afternoon of Assad swearing in the country's new defense minister.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry refused to comment on media reports that Assad’s British-born wife, Asma, was in Moscow when contacted by RIA Novosti on Thursday.
The United Nations, quoting Syrian rights activists, says some 16,000 people have died in Syria since the start of the revolt.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoAdage07:56, 20/07/2012Name a American president in modern history who could be trusted with the exception of the great FDR.
I guess Russia and China are learning the old adage, 'Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.'
- NicoPlanet Earth, not Planet Hollywood12:44, 20/07/2012I have nothing but admiration for the position taken by Russia and China.
The resolution was designed to enforce a change of Government, regardless of what its supporters within the UNSC claim. I only hope that the Syrian Armed forces prevail.
- SirkoYes Virginia there are Vampires...!!!20:49, 20/07/2012It is highly unlikely. Syria is surrounded by the Hyenas of American imperialism. The American Zionists who control U.S. policy in the Mid East, NATO the American Wart upon the face of Humanity, endless numbers of quislings states who bind their people into suppression while the fat cat rulers such as the bogus royalty of the Saudis live like gods. Why do the great western lovers of human rights not utter one world about the Saudi dictatorship? Does slapping the title royal make their oppressive regime legitimate? All of these are aiding and assisting the destruction of the Syrian state. Did it not strike you as strange that everywhere the western vampire regimes invade they live sectarian dissension, mayhem and turmoil in their wake. That is not an accident rather the supreme policy of the Zionist empire not to allow any Mid Eastern country which is not under its boot to flourish and prosper because then there is a very great possibility that a prosperous regional power would be a threat to the interests of the Zionist 'banksters' and gangsters. Hence, it is profitable to preach human rights, freedom and bullshit democracy while at the same time create scenarios where the peoples of the region are killing each other in sectarian violence.
In the past the only thing which kept the 'banksterss in check was the fear of the Big Red Machine. The Soviet Union who scared the shit out of the western 'Ganster Banksters' with its destruction of the fascists in WW II. They did not believe that Russia and the Soviets would survive Hitler's onslaught. They were confident that he would prevail or at least destroy the Reds as he promised in all his speeches. What does one think was the cause of the refusal of western powers to launch a second front in the west as per Stalin's request. The answer is simple they were waiting for the Hitlerites to demolish the Soviet Union and then they walk in and pick up the pieces. The Nazis destroy the Reds and weaken themselves. A perfect win-win scenario for the west.
There is very little knowledge in the west among the common folk of the real story in the struggle between the fascists and the Soviets in Russia. Even supposed educated people think that it was the Wehrmacht against the Red Army. Americans of course have been completely brainwashed to think that it was they and the likes of Patton with his pervert pearly pistols who defeated the Nazis at the great Battle of the Bulge which in real military terms of the war was a tempest in a tea pot. Little do they know that all of what is today NATO with the exception of the Brits and the Americans were all there, from Viche French to Dutch fascists, to Danes, Swedes, divisions of Hungarians, divisions of Austrians divisions of Romanians, the entire Italian eighth army, and on and on even fellow Slavs the Ustashi Croats and Bosnians. Do you think it not timely that after the re-unification of Germany the NATO Neo-Nazis immediately destroyed Yugoslavia to reward the former allies of the Nazis such as the fascist Croats and the Bosnians??
In the eyes of a objective individual Russia and China have the true moral high ground in this issue. For, they are the only ones truly backing Anan's peace initiative. The west cannot wait to bury that initiative. It is not the Syrian regime which refuse to compromise and talk. It is the other side which refuses to come to the table unless Asaad steps down. In short, "...give us what we want then we shall talk.." . Is that what discussion, compromise, bargain and peace are about. Hitlery Clinton the Zionist Supreme Vampire B-with-an-Itch knows full well how to serve her masters and so does Obama the Weenie. The only thing China and Russia can do is stall and talk, stall, talk, and more talk. Unfortunately, when dealing with vampires talk is far from enough a wooden stake would be a better foreign policy...Hahahahaha...!!! :-) :-)
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.