Topic: Yulia Tymoshenko case
MOSCOW, August 15 (RIA Novosti)
- Tymoshenko Says ‘No’ to Video Linkup with U.S. Court
- Ukrainian Prosecutors to charge Tymoshenko on Aiding Murder
- Tymoshenko Denied Registration for Parliamentary Polls
- Second Criminal Case Against Tymoshenko Postponed
The Ukrainian authorities offered to release opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko for a $7-billion “ransom,” Oleh Rybachuk, former presidential chief of staff, was quoted by the Kommentarii news portal as saying.
Rybachuk, a co-founder of the Justice movement, claimed the “ransom” offer was made by President Viktor Yanukovych during a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Yanukovych purportedly accused the former prime minister of stealing $14 billion and offered to release Tymoshenko “at half price.”
“Perhaps no one has said that publicly but I’ve repeatedly heard that from different sources,” Rybachuk said, adding that he had received that information, in particular, from one of Merkel’s advisors.
“Merkel’s advisor told me it took her a long time to come round [after Yanukovych’s offer] and when she did, she stopped saying hello to him,” Rybachuk said.
There has been no official comment from Ukrainian authorities on Rybachuk’s assertions.
Tymoshenko, the opposition heroine of Ukraine's 2004 pro-democracy “Orange Revolution,” was jailed for seven years in October 2011 for abusing her power by pushing through a gas deal with Russia in 2009, when she was prime minster. Her trial was condemned by Russia and Western governments as politically motivated.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecIs this a joke?21:22, 15/08/2012What kind of justice system is that? I wish Yulia all the best, but her status should be determined by the determination of her guilt or innecence, not by a bribe. This is corruption at the highest level. Who is going to pocket the money?
- WesternFascistit is a joke22:08, 16/08/2012If she stole $14 Billion, what did she do with it? She could go buy an island somewhere and disappear.
Image Galleries: Cuba’s New Trademark: Multicolored Vintage Cabs
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is one of the most important foreign policy initiatives taken by Russia along with five other countries. Both Russia and China want to reduce the threat of separatism and western influence in the region. Emergence of SCO provoked new international order.