Topic: Protests in Syria
A Syrian man carries donated food supplies from an aid distribution center in Aleppo on September 13, 2012© AFP 2013/ Marco Longari
- Syrian Opposition Received $40 Million Aid
- Russia Sends Humanitarian Aid to Syria
- U.S. Pledges More Aid to Syrian Opposition
- Over 2.5 Million People in Syria Need Aid - USAID Official
- U.S. Gives Syrian Opposition $25 Mln in Nonlethal Aid
- U.S. Provides $61 Mln. in Aid for Syrian Refugees
- U.S. Allocates $12.8 Mln of Humanitarian Aid for Syria
WASHINGTON, January 11 (RIA Novosti) - Last year the Unites States provided humanitarian aid worth $210 million to Syrians, who suffered from the ongoing bloody conflict between the ruling authorities and the rebels, the US Department of State said in a statement.
“The Assad regime’s war on its own civilian population over the past two years has precipitated a critical humanitarian crisis. The United States is providing $210 million in humanitarian aid to assist conflict-affected Syrians inside Syria and those who have fled to neighboring countries, the majority of whom are residing among local communities,” the statement said.
The department said that the humanitarian aid was channeled to Syria through contributions to “U.N. and other international agencies as well as partner non-governmental organizations.”
Earlier in the week, a statement from the UN World Food Programme said that some 2.5 million people in Syria were in need of food assistance.
Syria has been engulfed in a bloody civil war between various anti-Assad opposition forces and government troops since March 2011. The UN estimates that more than 60,000 people have been killed so far.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecYeah,16:37, 11/01/2013and at the same time, the US and its allies provided Syrian rebels, criminals, terrorists and foreign mercenaries with shelter, money, weapons, equipment, training, and logistical support in order to expand and prolong their atrocities and the misery of the Syrian people. What a hypocrisy!!!
- arsanlupinWrong again21:48, 16/01/2013The Arab League is the one who'e arming the citizens of Syria who are rebelling against their "President for Life". The USA has no part in it and you know it. And contrary to your rancid Bolshevik drivel, there are no "lackeys" or "lapdogs". They're all a figment of an imagination too poisoned with mindless hatred of something you know nothing about to be able to absorb factual information, let alone analyze it with logic and reason.
While you obviously either forgot or choose to ignore it, peaceful demonstrations were met with automatic weapons fire, then tanks. Admit it - if the same thing happened to you, you'd be angry with the guy who ordered the soldiers to open fire, too.
Your so-called criminals and terrorists make up the majority of the country's 22 million citizens.
Image Galleries: The First Woman in Space, Valentina Tereshkova
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The kind of patriotism promoted in Russia has traditionally been about love for the state rather than the nation. But this country has demonstrated in the most vivid way that governments come and go while the nation, with its great achievements and potential, is here to stay.