- Russian Security Council Discusses Mali Crisis
- French Timeframe for Mali Unrealistic – Expert
- Mali Crackdown Should be UN/Africa-Led – Kremlin Envoy
- UN Security Council Calls to Speed Up Mali Force Deployment
MOSCOW, January 27 (RIA Novosti) - The United States will intensify its involvement in the military operation in Mali, where the French-led offensive against radical Islamists entered its third week, the Department of Defense said in a statement on Saturday.
The Pentagon said that Defense Secretary Leon Panetta held a phone conversation with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian to inform him that “US Africa Command will support the French military by conducting aerial refueling missions as operations in Mali continue.”
“Secretary Panetta and Minister Le Drian resolved to remain in close contact as aggressive operations against terrorist networks in Mali are ongoing," the statement reads.
US policy prohibits direct military aid to the incumbent Mali government because it has come to power as a result of a coup, not through an election, CNN said.
Mali, a French colony until 1960, has been in turmoil since last March’s military coup, which triggered an uprising of the separatist Tuareg tribes that seized control of the country’s south.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- vusi(no title)10:07, 27/01/2013(corrected) west europeans colonialists are continuing their colonialism in Africa. France or the USA have no business meddling in African problem, the behavior of france and the USA clearly show that Africa remain under their inhuman oppression, they do like they wish, Africom is indeed a tool to preserve "white" supremacy in Africa. The people of Africa must organize to expulse the west europeans colonialists from Africa or starvation, poverty and early death will remain a feature of Africa forever.
Image Galleries: The Russian Cities With the Best Quality of Life
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.