YEREVAN, February 11 (RIA Novosti) - Armenian presidential candidate Paruyr Hayrikyan, who was attacked and sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder last month, on Monday withdrew his appeal to the country’s Constitutional Court to postpone the election by two weeks.
“My rights have been violated, but I reserved the right to at least partially compensate for the loss of my right to a fair election struggle,” he said.
“On the other hand, I have decided to waive my legitimate right, so that no slimebag can claim an ability to influence democratic processes in the country.”
The 63-year-old leader of the Union for National Self-Determination, who was shot near his house in the capital Yerevan on January 31, asked for a deferral on Sunday because his physical condition did not allow him to participate in the election.
The candidate earlier said he had no intention of delaying the election, to avoid promoting further instability in the country. However, he later changed his mind under pressure from his supporters.
Hayrikyan has been discharged from the hospital, a spokesman for his party said on Monday, adding that he will return to the hospital for a check-up every day.
Hayrikyan is one of eight candidates running in Armenia’s presidential election, scheduled for February 18, which analysts predict is likely to bring incumbent President Serzh Sargsyan back for a second term.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.