- US Gun Lobby Chief Slams Obama Effort to Control Firearms
- Obama Launches Aggressive US Gun Control Agenda
- Injured Former Congresswoman Launches US Gun Control Campaign
- NY Gov. Calls for ‘Nation’s Toughest’ Assault Weapons Ban
- Weapons Ban Proponent Says Will Head Senate’s Judiciary Panel
- Obama Pushes for Gun Reforms after Connecticut School Shooting
MOSCOW, February 24 (RIA Novosti) – Pro-gun activists in the United States have held a ‘day of resistance’, protesting against President Barack Obama's plans to ban assault weapons, the BBC reported on Sunday.
The activists say more than 100 rallies have taken place across the country to oppose the plans to tighten restrictions on gun ownership.
Protesters say the moves to tighten firearms laws breach their constitutional right to bear arms.
Obama announced plans in January for immediate gun control reforms. His announcement came after a 20-year-old man killed 20 children and six adults with a semi-automatic rifle at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut in December 2012. He also killed his mother at her home and killed himself.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: The Royal Path of Russia’s Last Tsar
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.