Topic: New Pope Is Chosen
- Papacy Post Vacant as Benedict Leaves Vatican
- Conclave to Choose New Pope to Start on Tuesday - Vatican
- Conclave to Choose New Pope May Meet Before Mar. 15 – Vatican
- Over 200,000 Gather to Hear Pope Benedict XVI’s Last Public Prayer
MOSCOW, March 12 (RIA Novosti) – As cardinals gathered in the Vatican on Tuesday to elect a new pope, bookmakers appeared as uncertain as everyone else as to who would emerge as leader of the world’s 1.2 billion baptized Catholics.
Cardinals Angelo Scola of Italy – seeking to become the first Italian pope for 35 years – and Odilo Scherer from Brazil are the favorites with most bookmakers, with UK bookmaker William Hill offering odds of 9/4 and 4/1, respectively.
The relatively generous odds reflect what is generally regarded as being an open field, with the Catholic Church caught unawares by the unexpected resignation of Pope Benedict last month – the first unforced papal resignation for some 600 years.
The third favorite, Ghanaian Cardinal Peter Turkson, is at 9/2.
If either Scherer – a prolific Tweeter – or Turkson are elected, they would become the first ever non-European popes.
A dark horse, at 10/1, is Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet, the Vatican's chief theological watchdog.
New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, at 20/1, has also been mentioned as a possible shock victor. His lack of fluency in foreign languages, a key skill for any pope, is a factor against him, however, analysts say.
The Paddy Power bookmaker is offering odds of 500/1 for rock singer Bono. The lead singer of Ireland’s U2 is not, however, a cardinal.
The 115 cardinal-electors attended a special Mass in St Peter's Basilica earlier on Tuesday. Later today they will head to the Sistine Chapel to begin their secret deliberations. They will vote four times a day until two-thirds agree on a candidate.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228The Papacy18:44, 12/03/2013With the creation of the papacy, Roman Catholics have impaled tradition and dragged it down the path of their own whims and innovations. Hardly being of divine decree, the papacy was not even a good and sensible human invention. From the tenth century onwards, the "Western Church", through the papacy, brought onto herself strange and heretical doctrines and innovations not known to the Un-Divided Orthodox Catholic Church of Antiquity. In these last times the evil one has rent from the Orthodox Catholic Church of Christ even whole nations in the West, having inflated the bishops of Rome with thoughts of excessive arrogance, which has given birth to diverse, lawless, heretical and anti-evangelical innovations. And not only so, but furthermore the popes of Rome from time to time, pursuing absolutely and without examination modes of union according to their own fancy, strive by every means to reduce to their own errors the Orthodox Catholic Church of Christ, which throughout the world walks unshaken in the Orthodoxy of faith transmitted to her by the fathers. In doing so Rome has been torn away and removed far from the True and Orthodox Catholic Church of Christ.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.