Topic: New Pope Is Chosen
Originally posted at 21:47
- Bookmakers Offer Divine Odds on Next Pope
- Over 200,000 Gather to Hear Pope Benedict XVI’s Last Public Prayer
- Obama Voices ‘Appreciation’ of Pope
- Pope Benedict XVI Makes Surprise Resignation
VATICAN, March 12 (RIA Novosti) – The Roman Catholic Church’s 115 cardinals locked themselves inside the Sistine Chapel on Tuesday after hours of prayers to elect their 226th leader.
As Guido Marini, the master of papal liturgical celebrations, cried “extra omnes,” meaning “everyone out,” staff and reporters left the chapel and the first conclave in modern history, which is held after the pontiff’s resignation and not death, began behind locked doors.
Pope Benedict XVI, who became the 265th Pope in 2005 following his predecessor John Paul II’s death, announced his resignation due to old age and failing health on February 11. The last pope to step down before his death was Gregory XII in 1415.
Under church rules, the winning candidate must get a two-thirds majority, or 77 votes. The election process will take as many days as necessary to achieve an absolute majority winner.
The front-runners to succeed Pope Benedict XVI, according to Vatican officials and bookmakers, appear to be Cardinals Angelo Scola of Italy, Odilio Scherer of Brazil, Marc Ouellet of Canada and Peter Turkson of Ghana.
The cardinals were not required to vote on Tuesday, the first day of the conclave, but they did. Each cardinal had to clearly write a candidate’s name on a rectangular ballot reading “Eligo in Summum Pontificem” or “I elect as supreme pontiff” and place his vote into a special urn. The ballots were counted, pierced and strung on a thread.
The ballots were then burned in a furnace with special chemicals to turn the smoke white or black, depending on the result. If the voting had been successful, white smoke and the tolling of a bell would have given the faithful a signal that they have a new pope.
However, by about 7:30 p.m. local time, those who had gathered in St. Peter’s Square under pouring rain Tuesday saw black smoke coming from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel, indicating that the conclave of cardinals had failed to elect their new leader.
Beginning Wednesday, the cardinals will vote four times a day, twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon, until a new leader of the Roman Catholic Church is elected.
Recasts paragraphs 6-8, adds information about the first vote for pope.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228The Papacy22:31, 12/03/2013My Roman Catholic friends remind me about the so-called 1917 apparition at Fatima. I have read much on this topic. What I understand about this delusion is that it calls upon "Russians to convert". This conversion has absolutely nothing to do with conversion to Christ, but rather it's an Orthodox conversion to the papacy which Rome seeks. According to the fables of Fatima, Orthodox Russians in the Motherland, and in Diaspora, are supposed to consecrate themselves to the Virgin Mary "in union with the papacy" as the evil delusion requested otherwise "various nations will be annihilated".
I find the delusions of Fatima absolutely ludicrous and nothing short of pure evil. If this were really the Mother of God giving messages about the future, why wouldn't she say anything at all about the massive cases of pedophilia? When anyone can type into Google, "Catholic Sex Abuse" and get millions of hits on Roman Catholic Sex Abuse. If this were truly the Mother of God why wouldn't she say something? Why would she say nothing about this? Answer, this delusion is not her.
To the contrary, her Son and our Lord warns us of His special wrath in connection with harming a child. There is not one peep about this in any Vatican endorsed Marion delusion. No, this is certainly not the Mother of God but an evil delusion. Why should I, or why would I ever want to be, "in union” with the papacy on anything as the so-called apparition requested? Why should I consecrate myself to the Virgin Mary as the pope requested? Why do I need to be in union with, subject to, or in any way connected to the excessive and boastful pride of the papacy and above all the many heresies and errors of the roman papacy? It is unthinkable that the Virgin Mary I know as the Bogoroditsa-Theotokos would ever want me or any other Orthodox Christian to be in union with the heretical papacy. For any Roman Catholic to tell me that the blessed lips of the Mother of God said such things is an evil abomination. That if we Orthodox Russians do not submit to her request "various nations will be annihilated" is obviously deluded by evil as these words are that of a malevolent supernatural creature from the lake of fire below, certainly not from the Mother of God.
There are very few places in the Gospels where it is recorded that the Mother of God spoke, but each one of them is highly significant. One could spend a life-time meditating on her sayings and never exhaust their meaning. Otherwise she is totally silent in order that her Son, the Word, may speak. Nothing can ever surpass the holy Virgin's two sublime titles: her own choice Handmaid of the Lord, and that which the Church has given her Theotokos-Gk., Mother of God. Neither can anything of greater importance be added to her last recorded statement, which remains an eternally true, relevant and universal message,
"Whatsoever He saith unto you, do it."
- Mikhail1228Conclave Nonsense15:52, 13/03/2013The black smoke belches from the rooftop and people wonder who the new pope will be. During this conclave Western news venues are hijacked as when Michael Jackson died. Senseless news updates permeated the air waves. If some cardinal sneezes they report it. Papal drivel has taken over talk radio. Everyone in the West is now subjected to a never ending stream of papal nonsense and live video feeds. Countless news reports aired, filled with senseless discussions about the papacy. These reports included the term orthodox and orthodoxy regarding these popes. I could not hold myself back from laughing. I thought to myself, what a paradox. A heterodox papacy is being referred to as orthodox. In actuality Ratzinger or Benedict whatever you want to call him promised to be a defender of modern Roman doctrine. What kind of “truths” were these Western reporters talking about? I would really like to know as everything in Roman Catholicism has been changed, altered, revised, rewritten, readapted or somehow adulterated by papal innovations. Simply put, in the so-called Roman Church today there is absolutely nothing left intact of the ancient Christian faith in its pure, ancient and unadulterated form. Is any of this truth? Since 1054 AD the papacy has been the protector of all modern innovations and anti-evangelical papal heresies. Again, Western news reports speak of the truths taught by John Paul II and how Benedict XVI was some sort of truth defender. Not to be too redundant but I am utterly bewildered as I cannot think of anything true in Roman Catholicism.
Image Galleries: North Pole: Living on the Top of the World
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.