- Moscow to Discuss Changes in US Missile Defense Plans
- Moscow Needs Explanations on US Missile Shield Changes
- US Missile Defense Shift ‘No Way About’ Russia
- Russia, US In For Serious Missile Defense Talks - Ambassador
- Russia Upbeat, US Cool on Success in Lavrov-Kerry Talks
- Medvedev Paints Gloomy Picture of US Missile Defense Dispute
MOSCOW, March 21 (RIA Novosti) – A senior Russian diplomat said on Thursday that the United States has provided new information on its missile defense program that Moscow will study in detail.
Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said that although Moscow remains apprehensive over Washington’s missile shield strategy, it is heartened by the readiness to continue dialogue on the issue.
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced last week that plans for the final stage of Central European-based missile shield are to be scrapped and that interceptors will instead be placed in Alaska.
The change is designed to counter potential incoming threats from North Korea, but Russia worries that any missile defense program undermines the integrity of its own military strategy.
Russian deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said on Wednesday that security officials from Russia and the United States will meet in the coming months to discuss the impact of recent developments.
Antonov said talks could be held at a security conference in Moscow due to take place on May 23-24.
Russia says it is pressing for “legally binding agreements guaranteeing that US missile defense elements are not aimed against Russia’s strategic nuclear forces.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- tec123Will Russia ever learn will they ever?20:40, 21/03/2013Another double crossing white lie but the US does not have to worry Russia will bite if it is sweet enough.
In the first place Russia should not even think of studying this plan offered by the US, by doing so it shows that the US can switch on and off Russia law makers mind.
How many times the Kremlin has to repeat the same words (they have been double crossed by the West)?
Well it looks like they will be repeating the same words in the not to distance future.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is one of the most important foreign policy initiatives taken by Russia along with five other countries. Both Russia and China want to reduce the threat of separatism and western influence in the region. Emergence of SCO provoked new international order.