- Police in North Caucasus kills militant behind Moscow metro bombings
- Russian investigators deny Moscow metro blast suspects detained
- Suspects of Moscow metro bombings detained
- Death toll in Moscow metro bombings rises to 40
- Moscow metro suicide bomber identified
MOSCOW, February 6 (RIA Novosti) - Russian special services reported on Wednesday that the last remaining rebel allegedly involved in the 2010 twin suicide bombing attacks that left 40 dead on the Moscow metro has been killed.
Gusen Magomedov was shot dead Tuesday night during an operation held by the Federal Security Service (FSB) in the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan.
"Until today, Magomedov was the last remaining participant directly involved in organizing the terrorist attacks in the Moscow metro in March 2010," Russia's Anti-Terrorist Committee said on Wednesday. “Today he received his retribution,” it said.
According to law enforcement officials, Magomedov accompanied two female suicide bombers on their way from Dagestan to Moscow and escorted one of them to the metro on the day of the attack.
The bombings, carried out at the Lubyanka and Park Kultury metro stations on the morning of March 29, 2010, killed at least 40 and injured over 100 people.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.