MOSCOW, July 13 (RIA Novosti)
- ICJ Ruling on Iran S-300 Claim ‘Pending’
- Iran Reports ‘Progress’ on Indigenous S-300 Missile
- Russia: No Plans to Resume S-300 Sales to Iran
- Iran ‘has no legal case’ against Russia over scrapped S-300 deal
- Iran still hopes to receive S-300 air defense systems
- Iran says ready to test domestic air defense system similar to S-300
The issue of Russian S-300 air-defense system delivery to Iran could still be resolved, an Iranian lawmaker said on Friday.
Mohammad-Reza Mohseni-Sani said he hoped Moscow will finally fulfill its contractual obligation by delivering the system to Tehran and that Iran expects Russia will not support “unjust” UN Security Council sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
The delivery of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Iran is not against the UN sanctions imposed on the country, he added.
“Moscow must maintain its independence from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization,” Mohseni-Sani was quoted by Press TV as saying.
He suggested that Russia’s refusal to deliver the S-300 system under the pretext that it would contravene the UN Security Council resolutions against Iran as a tactical move that could not “be an obstacle to the strong relations between the two countries [Russia and Iran].”
The $800-million contract to supply Iran with the missile system was signed in late 2007. Russia was to deliver five S-300PMU-1 battalions to Tehran. However, in September, 2010, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a decree terminating the contract in line with UN Security Council Resolution 1929, which bans supply to Iran of conventional weapons including missiles and missile systems, tanks, attack helicopters, warplanes and ships.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PETEPETEPETEGeopolitics01:23, 14/07/2012The Iranians are doing what they have to do, they understand that it's all about the geopolitics but it's their job to put pressure on Russia.
- SirkoSend the S-300s...08:23, 14/07/2012...and a bonus package of s-400s, A contract is a contract. It is good money and your are also sending a message to the western imperialists.
UN resolutions, we know what they are all about and who controls them. How many resolutions have the American Zionists broken? It will be a black mark on Russia if it does not help the Iranians beat off the western hyenas. They have a right to defend themselves from the Zionist empire...
- moistThe Syrian trap09:08, 14/07/2012It´s not a question about if they will get it but when, and that would be if USA and their Zionist Armageddon fanatics manages to establish chaos in Syria, neutralizing it and to some extent paralyse Hezbollah and Hamas, the war then goes further east in a threatening move against Iran and of course Russia. By then Iran would have the s-300 if not the s-400 (they already have different Russian and domestic developed supersonic missiles). Russia would then secure it´s southern flank as it have been preparing for years. But that´s a later question, Syria is in my opinion a trap and the west will fall into it eventually...
Image Galleries: New "Watercolors" Train Exhibition in the Moscow Metro
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.