Russia signed a deal with Italy’s Iveco company last December on the semi-knocked down assembly of Lynx light multirole armored vehicles for the Russian Ground Forces© Photo Suradnik13
MOSCOW, July 16 (RIA Novosti)
The Russian Defense Ministry has decided to equip the Ground Forces mostly with wheeled rather than tracked armored vehicles, GF commander Col. Gen. Vladimir Chirkin said on Monday.
“The Defense Ministry has decided to replace the majority of tracked armored vehicles with wheeled vehicles,” Chirkin said. “We will soon start R&D work on the development of wheeled vehicles.”
The general said the replacement will involve self-propelled guns, air defense systems and light tanks.
One of the main reasons for the replacement is the longer service life of the wheeled vehicles, he said.
“The service life of the tracked vehicles until a major overhaul is up to 30,000 kilometers while that of the wheeled vehicles is up to 1 million kilometers,” Chirkin said.
Wheeled vehicles will also allow the military to minimize railroad transport during redeployment.
Russia signed a deal with Italy’s Iveco company last December on the semi-knocked down assembly of Lynx light multirole armored vehicles for the Russian Ground Forces in the central Russia city of Voronezh.
In addition, Russia is currently working with France on the development of armored vehicles with a French wheeled base but equipped with Russian weapons and Russian turrets.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- alexk2Fail.21:25, 16/07/2012Because we apparently no longer need cross country mobility for air defense platforms and other armored personnel transporters.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgGood decision23:23, 16/07/2012More practical and longer lasting.
- SirkoIdiots23:25, 16/07/2012Wheeled armoured vehicles! Wars become hot and dirty. Do you have time to change a tire when a bullet can pierce more than one? The Americans did the same and the troops in Iraq had to weld and modify the crap issued to them by welding on metallic sheilds.
- PETEPETEPETE(no title)19:23, 17/07/2012The wars of the future will be Georgia-Russia war style or Thermonuclear Armageddon...you don't have to be a general to realize this is the right move. Some even say that the days of the heavy tank are over...
- shanksinhaDifferent approach23:26, 17/07/2012The preference for wheeled APS reflects the changing role of the Russian military doctrine. Cross country and amphibious mobility is apparently not a priority now as the focus has shifted to low intensity regional conflicts involving deployment in semi-urban terrain. However, Russian army must also be prepared to deal with potential all out hot war scenarios as well, as Russia is a huge Eurasian power with diverse security challenges.
- SirkoViva Germania...!!! Hahahaha...!!!01:50, 18/07/2012Well, there are some good points here pro and con, but it boils down, once again why by Italian? As resources dwindle around the planet you will see major conflagrations over regions. That is what is going on today in the Mid East. America and its Wart NATO have an insatiable appetite and greed for resources. The possibility of the Syrian mess spreading into a major regional war is very high.
Certainly, the people who were sucker punched by the fascists in WW II and subsequently disassembled entire factory regions to reassemble them on the other side of the Urals and then produce better equipment than the western fascist driving them all the way to Berlin, surely they can make a better armoured vehicle than the Italians. Why buy Italian? Who is getting a kick back is the first thing which springs to mind?
History has proven over again that the best weapon the Italians ever produced is the factory which made white flags...:-)
In WW I a very young Irwin Rommel captured three thousand Italians. The came out of their mountain strongholds cheering, "Viva Germania!"...A quaint point of the difference between men and men and hence machinery and machinery. So are the Italians now teaching the Russians how to make machinery and next how to fight no doubt.
The entire Italian eighth army died at Stalingrad. If they are so good at war, begs the question, "How come???"
Image Galleries: The Royal Path of Russia’s Last Tsar
Infographics: The Origin of Geomagnetic Storms
Cartoons: Dreams of Space
The failure of the Islamist political parties who came to power in the dramatic events of the Arab Spring would allow the military to reenter the political arena. Political Islam was successful in the opposition, but it could fail in power, as the negative experience of Egypt and Iraq have shown.