MOSCOW, August 9 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia, Indonesia Should Develop Joint Projects - Putin
- Russia Pulls Out of Indonesian Rocket System Tender
- Russia to Sell 60 Armored Vehicles to Indonesia
- Indonesia Tests Own Bombs for Sukhoi Fighter
Indonesia will buy no more Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia, opting instead for U.S. F-16s, Air Marshal Eris Herryanto told Flightglobal aviation news portal on Thursday.
The Indonesian Air Force has 10 Su-30 and Su-27s with six additional fighters on the way.
Money is being made available to accelerate the refurbishment of its existing fleet of 15 Lockheed Martin C-130s, as well as buy four C-130Hs from Australia and upgrade them, and purchase more Indonesia Aerospace CN-295 transports, said Herryanto, who is secretary general of the Indonesian Defense Ministry.
"We are waiting for 24 F-16s from the USA. With those, we will have enough aircraft in our fighter inventory for the next 20 years. And that means we have enough Sukhoi fighters for now," he said.
"Indonesia has also invested in South Korea's K-FX program, which will produce fighters to replace aircraft like the [Northrop] F-5s and F-16s. We aim to buy enough K-FX fighters for three squadrons of 16-22 aircraft each. That will cover our long-term requirements."
Sukhoi’s press service said they were not aware of Indonesia’s plans.
A source at United Aircraft Corp. (UAC) who spoke on condition of anonymity said he was not surprised by Indonesia’s decision, as there has been no discussion with Jakarta for any more Sukhoi sales.
Indonesia recently bought six Su-30 fighters to be delivered within the next three years (two a year).
The country’s Air Force will thus have a total of 16 Sukhois, which require spare parts, servicing, maintenance, etc, he said.
Any joint aircraft project with South Korea is unlikely to materialize soon, the source said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmUn grateful Indonesia..14:50, 09/08/2012Don't worry Russen when Indonesia refueses to toe the West line again they will come begging again sush is politics, itjust goes to show how countries are they never get anything free from the West but with Russia they want extended lines of credit.
- mishkaThat s why they should be unsuccesfull.13:02, 10/08/2012Indonesia refuses to buy Russian fighters now. Especially now after Russian rocket's unsuccess to put their satelite to put into the orbit. Perhaps somebody whispered to their ears "look even their rocket boosters can not work correctly how can you trust Russian technology for your security." Perhaps that s why such failures, problems and technical problems of Russian space programs are needed and provided by somebody. Russia's eternal foes as they say in their election campaings.
- Soekarno_IndonesianPlease respect our decision06:50, 09/09/2012This is same situation like in 60's due political situation When Indonesia refused to buy Ilyusin Il-18 from Soviet, and prefer DC-8 PanAm. President Soekarno said to Kruschev.""Comrade Khrushchev, plane indeed look much bigger and strong, but I feel more comfortable in a smaller PanAm plane was."
Firmness of Sukarno made Khrushchev increasingly admiration to Soekarno. Attitude Bung Karno who do not submit the little things (aircraft), further confirms the attitude that choose the way of Non-Alignment country. Please respect our decision, as Khrushchev did and other leaders did,too.
- Soekarno_IndonesianGood..Please respect Indonesia06:47, 09/09/2012This is same situation like in 60's due political situation When Indonesia refused to buy Ilyusin Il-18 from Soviet, and prefer DC-8 PanAm. President Soekarno said to Kruschev.""Comrade Khrushchev, plane indeed look much bigger and strong, but I feel more comfortable in a smaller PanAm plane was."
Firmness of Sukarno made Khrushchev increasingly admiration to Soekarno. Attitude Bung Karno who do not submit the little things (aircraft), further confirms the attitude that choose the way of non-alignment country. Please respect our decision, as Khrushchev did and other leaders.
- Soekarno_IndonesianNon BLOC06:56, 09/09/2012We are Non-Alignment Country , there's No Pro East or West, Btw, We're not living at that time anymore. This is about national budgets.
Image Galleries: North Pole: Living on the Top of the World
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.