MOSCOW, September 3 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to Adopt New Liquid Heavy ICBM after 2022 - Expert
- Putin Pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in Ten Years
- Russia test launches Topol ICBM
- Russia to develop new heavy ICBM by 2020
- Russia to test-launch 10-12 ICBMs a year through 2020
- Russia to build 100-ton ICBM to penetrate US missile defenses
Russia will build a new heavy intercontinental ballistic missile by 2018, Strategic Missile Forces commander Col. Gen. Sergei Karakayev said on Monday.
“Construction of the missile is ongoing,” he said. “It is to be completed by 2018.”
The new missile is to replace the R-36M2 Voyevoda (NATO reporting name SS-18 Satan) missile.
So far all of Russia’s recent ICBM projects, both sea-launched (Bulava) and ground-based (Topol-M, Yars), have been solid fuel.
Karakayev said the new ICBM will have a launch mass of around 100 tons with a better payload-launch weight ratio than in a solid fuel missile.
Such ICBMs can only be deployed in silos.
The Russian Defense Ministry previously said that unless the United States abandons its plans to create a missile defense system in Europe, Russia will take counter measures, including the building of a new heavy liquid-propellant missile.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- drussianAvanguard?06:49, 04/09/2012Russia tested the avanguard ICBM earlier this year, even though it failed. I supposed its just continued R&D of this unless they take a drastic move such as in the production of Bulava SLBM with an entirely new missile. So does this mean the end of the Avanguard project or will it be continued?
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.