- Putin says Security Council resolution on Libya "flawed"
- EU foreign ministers to discuss Libya, Japan
- Moscow urges western nations to stop indiscriminate use of force in Libya
- Libya hands out arms to people in defense against aggressors - Gaddafi
- U.S.-led attack on Libya may force rebels to join forces with Gaddafi - expert
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Monday likened the UN Security Council resolution on Libya to a Medieval crusade call.
Russia abstained from a UN Security Council resolution adopted on Thursday imposing a no-fly zone over Libya and measures to protect civilians from leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces.
"The Security Council resolution is deficient and flawed; it allows everything and is reminiscent of a medieval call for a crusade," Putin told workers at a ballistic missile factory in the Urals region. "It effectively allows intervention in a sovereign state."
Ten of the Security Council's 15 members voted in favor of the resolution, with Russia, China, Germany, India and Brazil abstaining. The resolution was co-sponsored by France, Britain, Lebanon and the United States.
"This U.S. policy is becoming a stable trend," Putin said, recalling the U.S. air strikes on Belgrade under Bill Clinton and Afghanistan and Iraq under the two Bush administrations.
"Now it's Libya's turn - under the pretext of protecting civilians," the premier said. "Where is the logic and conscience? There is neither."
"The ongoing events in Libya confirm that Russia is right to strengthen her defense capabilities," he added.
Western-led military strikes against Libya's strongman Muammar Gaddafi, who has been ruthlessly fighting rebels in the North African country since mid-February, began on Saturday.
Libyan television has reported that at least 50 civilians have been killed and over 150 wounded in the strikes and that many health and education facilities have been destroyed.
VOTKINSK (Udmurtia), March 21 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Veselko3Agree with President Putin BUT16:26, 21/03/2011Why Russia hasn't vetoed the resolution ?
May be Russia obtained something from Western countries.
- melaniemPutin likens UN Libya resolution to crusade call16:56, 21/03/20111. Putin needs a lesson on the Crusades - and I mean the real truth - not leftist and Arab propaganda.
2. The Russian government will use any excuse to funnel more money into their military-industrial complex. So, the Americans, along with France and Britain advocate military action against Libya and their next target is Russia? Please!
- wanklord(no title)20:32, 21/03/2011Russia is still weak. They didn't veto UN resolution 1973 simply because they will get some favor in exchange for abstaining. Putin is a hypocrite who speaks after decisions were made.
- vusi(no title)23:02, 21/03/2011Prime minister is right! we give him a standing ovation, we call for his re-election as president of Russia!
- avatar_singhall attacks by anglosaxon is an attack on all of us who are not anglos04:28, 22/03/2011GEN. WESLEY CLARK: Well, in a way. But, you know, history doesn’t repeat itself exactly twice. What I did warn about when I testified in front of Congress in 2002, I said if you want to worry about a state, it shouldn’t be Iraq, it should be Iran. But this government, our administration, wanted to worry about Iraq, not Iran.
I knew why, because I had been through the Pentagon right after 9/11. About ten days after 9/11, I went through the Pentagon and I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz. I went downstairs just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me, and one of the generals called me in. He said, "Sir, you’ve got to come in and talk to me a second." I said, "Well, you’re too busy." He said, "No, no." He says, "We’ve made the decision we’re going to war with Iraq." This was on or about the 20th of September. I said, "We’re going to war with Iraq? Why?" He said, "I don’t know." He said, "I guess they don’t know what else to do." So I said, "Well, did they find some information connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda?" He said, "No, no." He says, "There’s nothing new that way. They just made the decision to go to war with Iraq." He said, "I guess it’s like we don’t know what to do about terrorists, but we’ve got a good military and we can take down governments." And he said, "I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail."
So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, "Are we still going to war with Iraq?" And he said, "Oh, it’s worse than that." He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, "I just got this down from upstairs"—meaning the Secretary of Defense’s office—"today." And he said, "This is a memo that describes how we’re going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran." I said, "Is it classified?" He said, "Yes, sir." I said, "Well, don’t show it to me." And I saw him a year or so ago, and I said, "You remember that?" He said, "Sir, I didn’t show you that memo! I didn’t show it to you!"
Gitmo still open
- Military tribunals ongoing
- Indefinite detention still in use
- Extraordinary rendition to brutal foreign intelligence agencies for EIT
- Renewal of the Patriot Act
- Tripling the number of combat troops in Afghanistan
- Stepped up use of drone asssasssinations
- Dramatic increase in private military ‘contractors’
- Flexible and expanding Afghanistan withdrawal date
and now ...
- Threatening to attack Libya
Yes an act of war within its own country. Not outer. Gaddafi isn't invading other countries or has 1000 bases around the world like the US. Nor is Gaddafi in multiple wars with other countries or have clandestine spec ops in 75 countries like the US. Don't you understand how the US wants to add Libya to that list? Do you know how much mega bad corporations have business in Libya?
============They will attack against Hugo Chavez and Venezuela next. Russia will not oppose.
Next they will attack Iran. Russia will not oppose.
Next they will attack Russia. Again Russia will not oppose but surrender unconditionally.
What a pathetic world. =
==============I keep wondering the irony and doubled faced of the UN when it comes to the arab revolts. Saudi Arabia a strong USA ally sends troops to supress the pro-democarcy revolt in Bahrain which in turn those troops are shooting at civilians and arresting opposition leaders while the UN is concerned about the Libyan civilians...Israel bombing and using of internationally banned chemicals agents gainst the civilian population in Gaza also the UN did not move a finger. The UN has lost face and legitimacy in the eyes of the world (except for US, Britain and Israel). I will give my implicit and full trust to Commander Chavez for the creation of our own socialist and humanist tribunals, this way I'll know that my hunam and civil rights are protrected!! =======
========== Let's consider:
Attacking Iraq on phony information: check
Invading Afghanistan to support a corrupt leader with little support against an embedded insurgency for over 10 years: check
Support the Egyptian army after demonstrations got rid of the president: check
Egyptian army continues policies of torture and detention: check
Bomb Libya for regime change: check
Fire drones into Pakistan killing cvilians: check
Support a dictator in Yemen: check
Tacitly approve the Gulf state invasion of Yemen to keep dictator in power: check
And this is only the top line of war over the past 20 years. At least is is an equal opportunity area for both parties. ================
yes but Russia is finsihed now-sadly putin coming too late for 2012.
russia wanted to be a memebr of nato for some time-it has become one-a junior membr much less in importance than even check republic and behodden to decisions made in london and washington now. congratuletions for having abstanined and allowing angloamericvan war on libya-your time will be soon russia . you will not be able to protect oyourkand your ebautiful woemn and certainly not your culture byebye"
ameerican can get cia murderer from paksitan but russaain bout has to stay in a rotten jail in usa-such is the real status of russia now.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.