- 20:17 11/06/2013
Russia’s lower house of parliament on Tuesday gave its final approval for a controversial “anti-gay” bill, with only one of the 436 lawmakers present abstaining and no votes against, after a day of clashes outside the building and dozens of arrests by police.
- 17:01 11/06/2013
Protests outside the Russian parliament building turned violent on Tuesday as clashes broke out between activists for and against two proposed bills – one restricting the "promotion" of homosexuality, the other “to protect religious believers’ feelings.”
- 19:46 06/06/2013
A Communist group in southern Russia wants openly gay British pop star Elton John to wear a traditional Cossack uniform at an upcoming concert because his usual flamboyant clothing is “homosexual propaganda,” the group’s leader told RIA Novosti on Thursday.
- 17:58 19/05/2013
- 15:44 17/05/2013
- 15:44 16/05/2013
The organizers of several planned gay pride events have appealed to a local court over Moscow City Hall's refusal to authorize their events, activists said in a press release published on the Gayrussia.eu website on Thursday.
- 19:13 15/05/2013
- 01:13 09/04/2013
- 02:45 31/01/2013
- 09:30 26/01/2013
- 20:43 25/01/2013
- 20:10 24/01/2013
- 17:04 22/01/2013
Supporters and opponents of a proposed federal law banning gay propaganda clashed on Tuesday outside the State Duma, the lower chamber of the Russian parliament, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported from the scene.
- 15:25 20/01/2013 Updated 11:50
- 21:24 20/12/2012
- 11:26 08/12/2012
American pop diva Lady Gaga expressed her gratitude to Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev for what she perceives to be his lack of support for legislation barring “homosexual propaganda” in Russia.
- 18:40 28/11/2012
The author of a controversial law banning “homosexual propaganda” in St. Petersburg sounded a defiant note on Wednesday after Milan suspended its sister city status with Russia’s northern capital in protest at the controversial legislation.
- 20:01 22/11/2012
- 15:20 11/10/2012 MOSCOW, October 11 (RIA Novosti)
A St. Petersburg city court will hold a preliminary hearing on Thursday into multi-million-dollar lawsuits against US pop diva Madonna and the organizers of her recent St. Petersburg concert over an alleged violation of the city's law against "gay propaganda."
- 15:39 03/10/2012 MOSCOW, October 3 (RIA Novosti)
- 19:27 13/09/2012 MOSCOW, September 13 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:33 13/09/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, September 13 (RIA Novosti)
A group of Russian activists resubmitted on Thursday lawsuits against U.S. pop diva Madonna and organizers of her St. Petersburg concert seeking $10.5 million in compensation for “moral damages,” a lawyer for the plaintiffs, Alexander Pochuyev, told RIA Novosti.
- 19:54 10/08/2012 MOSCOW, August 10 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:38 14/07/2012 MOSCOW, July 14 (RIA Novosti)
- 16:17 06/07/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, July 6 (RIA Novosti)
- 20:40 04/07/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, July 4 (RIA Novosti)
- 14:56 04/07/2012 MOSCOW, July 4 (RIA Novosti)
A Russian lawmaker who authored a controversial law banning "homosexual propaganda" has threatened to fine U.S. pop star Madonna if she undresses at her upcoming performance in St. Petersburg, the tabloid Moskovsky Komsomolets reported.
- 18:41 23/05/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, May 23 (RIA Novosti)
- 14:39 18/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
Several dozen masked individuals attacked the first sanctioned gay demonstration in St. Petersburg and vented their anger on migrant workers after police drove the gays from the scene, Fontanka.ru said.
- 13:04 18/05/2012
- 17:24 17/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 17 (RIA Novosti)
- 13:53 04/05/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, May 4 (RIA Novosti)
- 12:19 27/04/2012 MOSCOW, April 27 (RIA Novosti)
Activists from a fundamentalists Russian Orthodox organization held a protest before the opening ceremony of an international gay and lesbian film festival in Moscow, the Ridus information agency reported on Thursday.
- 15:11 25/04/2012 MOSCOW, April 25 (RIA Novosti, Alexey Eremenko)
- 18:53 24/04/2012 MOSCOW, 24 April (RIA Novosti)
Gay activists plan to hold a gay pride parade in Moscow on May 27, where the main theme of the event will be bans on "gay propaganda" in Russia, the leader of the Russian LGBT movement, Nikolai Alekseyev, said.
- 18:55 23/04/2012 MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:35 19/04/2012 MOSCOW, April 19 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:13 12/04/2012 MOSCOW, April 12 (RIA Novosti)
A leader of the Russian LGBT movement, Nikolai Alekseyev, has been detained in a one-man picket in St. Petersburg protesting against a new local law that bans "gay propaganda" among minors, GayRussia.ru website reported on Thursday.
- 18:43 07/04/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, April 7 (RIA Novosti)
Two gay rights activists detained by police on Saturday for picketing against the law that bans "gay propaganda" among minors have been released after police compiled a report of administrative offence, a representative of St. Petersburg’s LGBT group said.
- 14:54 06/04/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, April 6 (RIA Novosti)
- 21:11 02/04/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, April 2 (RIA Novosti)
- 16:02 29/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 29 (RIA Novosti)
- 12:26 22/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 22 (RIA Novosti)
- 16:53 19/03/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, March 19 (RIA Novosti)
- 11:23 17/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 17 (RIA Novosti)
- 21:30 14/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 14 (RIA Novosti)
A Sochi appeals court has upheld a lower court ruling denying registration to Pride House, a local gay movement, saying it constitutes a threat to Russia’s sovereignty, the Yugopolis news portal said on Wednesday.
- 16:34 12/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 12 (Alexei Korolyov, RIA Novosti)
A new law in Russia's second city, St. Petersburg, that imposes fines for spreading "gay propaganda" among minors should be implemented nationwide, an Orthodox Church official said on Monday, a day after the legislation was signed by the city's governor.
- 18:32 11/03/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, March 11 (RIA Novosti)
- 17:18 08/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 8 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:07 02/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 2 (Alexei Korolyov, RIA Novosti)
- 10:40 20/01/2012 MOSCOW, January 20 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:22 26/12/2011 MOSCOW, December 26 (RIA Novosti, Alexei Korolyov)
- 16:04 02/12/2011 MOSCOW, December 2 (RIA Novosti)
- 23:27 24/11/2011 MOSCOW, November 24 (RIA Novosti)
- 05:56 24/11/2011 WASHINGTON, November 24 (RIA Novosti)
- 15:20 23/11/2011 MOSCOW, November 23 (RIA Novosti, Alexei Korolyov)
- 17:07 18/11/2011 RIA Novosti correspondent Alexei Korolyov
- 18:41 01/10/2011 MOSCOW, October 1 (RIA Novosti)
- 21:12 30/05/2011
- 17:18 30/05/2011
- 20:37 28/05/2011
- 14:36 19/05/2011
- 21:06 17/05/2011
- 16:04 26/04/2011
The Moscow city authorities gave official permission on Tuesday to hold the first ever gay pride march in the capital, in an important victory for the country's gay community, the parade's organizer said.
- 19:54 16/02/2011
- 07:20 02/12/2010
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said during an interview with U.S. talk show host Larry King that gays are not banned from serving in the Russian armed forces but that the government does not support same-sex marriages.
- 23:42 30/10/2010
- 16:44 21/10/2010
- 15:58 13/10/2010
- 16:35 29/09/2010
- 18:56 28/05/2010
Tverskoy district court ruled on Friday to uphold Moscow City Government's ban on a gay pride parade in the city centre, Gay rights activist Nikolai Alexeyev told Russian Agency of Legal and Court Information (RAPSI).
- 21:52 27/05/2010
Moscow’s Tverskoy district court will hear on Saturday a law suit filed by the Gay Russia organization against the Moscow City Government for the prohibition of gay pride parades in the Russian capital.
- 21:32 20/05/2010
- 17:38 25/01/2010
- 20:17 11/06/2013
Gay Propaganda Ban in Russia
A law penalizing “the propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia among minors” came into force in St. Petersburg in March, to mixed reactions among Russians where anti-gay sentiment remains strong. A similar bill was introduced in the federal parliament while Moscow is also considering a ban on “sodomy” promotion.