MOSCOW/CAIRO, April 25 (RIA Novosti) - At least one Russian tourist was killed and another was injured Monday in a series of three explosions at an Egyptian resort on the Red Sea, the Russian Embassy in Cairo said.
"According to the Egyptian authorities, a 30-year-old Russian man, Titarenko, was killed in the terrorist attacks," head of the consulate department Bashir Malsagov said.
He also said that he had a telephone conversation with another Russian victim, 28-year-old Olga Fedina, who had been slightly injured in the blasts that rocked the town of Dahab, on the southeast of the Sinai Peninsula.
Egypt is a popular destination for Russian holidaymakers, who are attracted by its relatively low prices and winter sun.
Three separate explosions ripped through the town at about 5 p.m. GMT on Monday, killing at least 23 people, including three foreigners, and wounding 62, law-enforcement officials said, although there are fears that the death toll could be much higher.
Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak condemned the explosions as a "wicked terrorist act."
Egyptian resorts on the Red Sea have been hit by terrorist attacks before. About 60 people were killed in Sharm el Sheikh in July 2005.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.