- Russia's Zhirinovsky urges Muslim world to support Gaddafi
- Rebels say Gaddafi forces storm Benghazi (Update 1)
- Ceasefire in Libya must be implemented immediately - Obama (Update 1)
- Ceasefire in Libya must be implemented immediately - Obama
- Nobel Prize: A weapon in the battle for peace?
Russia's head of the Liberal Democratic Party, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, has appealed to the Nobel Prize Committee to revoke U.S. President Barack Obama's Nobel Prize, the party's press service said in a statement on Monday.
Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for his commitment to non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
"The situation in Libya is yet another shocking act of aggression by NATO forces and in particular by the United States. This is a clear reflection of colonial policy. This is another crude invasion into the domestic affairs of an independent state. There is only one goal: to take control of Libyan oil and the Libyan regime and not saving the Libyan people," the press service quoted Zhirinovsky as saying.
The colorful and flamboyant leader of Russia's LDPR party plans to meet with Libyan Ambassador to Russia Amir al-Arabi on Wednesday to discuss the latest events in the North African country.
Earlier Zhirinovsky called on the Muslim world to support Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and sent an official letter to NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen demanding the immediate stop to the military operation in Libya.
A military operation against Libya's strongman Gaddafi, who has ruled the country with an iron fist for more than 40 years, began on Saturday. On Monday, Western forces launched a second wave of air strikes on Gaddafi's positions under a UN resolution authorizing military action to protect Libyan civilians.
NATO has so far not indicated if it will participate in the operation.
Libyan television has reported that at least 50 civilians have been killed and over 150 wounded in the UN strikes and that many health and education facilities have been destroyed.
MOSCOW, March 21 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pcfThank you00:26, 22/03/2011Thank you for your understanding of the situation and speaking some clear words. You are the voice of reason amongst all this absurd madness.
- email@example.comWhy did President Barack Obama win the Noble Peace Prize?01:43, 22/03/2011Everyone's memories are a little short so I will remind you. President Barack Obama won the Noble Peace Prize first because of his stance on reducing the nuclear weapon stock pile in both Russia and the United States, which he has successfully accomplished with the cooperation of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and the Kremlin with the Start 2 Treaty.
But the bigger reason President Barack Obama win the Noble Peace Prize was that he successfully lead the Democratic Party to beat the Republican Party in the United States November 4, 2008 election.
After 8 disastrous years of former Republican President Bush in command the ENTIRE WORLD was relieved when Barack Obama won the American election on November 4, 2008.
It was also the first time in history that a black Presidential candidate not only was nominated, but won an American election! Only 40 years earlier in 1960, black people were fighting for basic rights to live in American society. For a black Presidential candidate to win a US election was a huge deal not only in the United States but all over the world.
That was then in November 2008. The world was SO HAPPY, myself included that President Barack Obama won the Noble Peace Prize. Simply because he was NOT former President Bush, the WORST US President in history.
However everyone has to understand that President Barack Obama is just the symbolic leader of the United States, the real power in the United States lies with the oil companies and other interests.
It is the oil companies who ultimately call the shots and the decisions made by the United States government. It has been like this since the 1960's I believe.
The world has now passed the top of the Worldwide Peak Oil Curve. Beginning in 2011 there will be less and less oil to meet global demand. By 2030 our oil civilization will be over.
When the government of Libya threatened to stop oil flowing to the United States, Canada and Europe (NATO) countries extracted and processed by American oil companies this just was unacceptable.
Immediate action was required to protect United States, European and NATO oil, business and economic interests.
If the American election of November 4, 2008 could be repeated WOULD ANYONE want the alternative American government of Sarah Palin in place? I think not. If anyone thought President Bush was bad I cannot imagine the horror under President / Vice President Sarah Palin.
This is why President Barack Obama won the Noble Peace Prize in 2009.
President Barack Obama should not have to give back the Noble Peace Prize as he is doing the best he can under very difficult conditions. Remember President Barack Obama DOES NOT run the United States Government, he is a figure head. The power resides in many other people and companies, most of whom are involved in fossil fuel energy to run the United States economy.
Author of the first ever Presidential Kids Art Album eBooks (created with Russian kids artwork) and Russian Kids Art Album eBooks. Promoter of Russian Kids Artwork around the world and positive Russian relations around the world. Just so that people don't think I am simply pro US.
- pcfSpeak for yourself13:39, 22/03/2011Please speak for yourself when it comes to "short memory" and do not make generalized assumptions about other people that you do not know.
- ericdbJust to clarify...21:45, 22/03/2011Libya is 1% of the worlds oil. Less than the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska.
- dmeyer40(no title)21:45, 22/03/2011Don't worry, you won't be mistaken as pro-USA. Pro-democrat maybe. Crazy Canuck!
- ericdbWhy not speak up then?21:42, 22/03/2011Russia was absent from all of the UN talks and abstained from voting. They kept their mouth shut, not saying a word while the UN pressed the US to act. Then when the UN acts, they jump up and start screaming that the US is evil. Probably would be saying the same thing had the opposite happened. If your sooo concerned, next time, speak up!
- hopeRUSSIAN OUTRAGE!00:32, 23/03/2011What choice does Obama have? Allow another genocide like Rawanda? This is OK with Mother Russia? Any moral or humanitarian concerns?
Image Galleries: The First Woman in Space, Valentina Tereshkova
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.