MOSCOW, July 1 (RIA Novosti)
- France says Libya arms deliveries were for 'self-defense'
- Russia may work with UN, AU on Libyan crisis solution - envoy
- Libya to prosecute NATO in international courts
- U.S. Congress may rule to defund Obama's operation in Libya
- NATO set to continue Libya operation - Rasmussen
NATO is likely be preparing a ground operation in Libya, the Russian envoy to the alliance, Dmitry Rogozin, said on Friday.
"I think that now we are witnessing the preparation stage of a ground operation which NATO, or at least some of its members... are ready to begin," Rogozin said.
He also said Russia and France should "clarify" the issue of weapons supplies to Berber tribes in Libya, which France says were for "self-defense" and in line with the UN resolution.
"If direct weapons supplies to rebels indeed take place, they can only be referred to as a serious breach of the UN Security Council resolution," the Russian envoy said.
Libya has been rocked with anti-Gaddafi protests since mid-February. The international military operation began on March 19 following a UN resolution and was extended until late September.
UN Security Council Resolution 1970, passed in February, prohibited states from providing any kind of arms to Libya. March Resolution 1973 authorized nations "to take all necessary measures" to help protect Libyan civilians.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.