MOSCOW, May 3 (RIA Novosti)
- Moscow Sends Missile Message to NATO
- Russia Sees Missile Defense as ‘Space Threat’
- Missile Defense May Void Chinese Deterrent Soon - Ministry
- Russia Does Not Rule Out Preemptive Missile Defense Strike
- Russia, NATO Missile Talks Reach ‘Dead-End’
- NATO May Decide on Stepping Up Missile Defense in Chicago – Defense Ministry
Russia has no plans to pull out of the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in response to a European missile defense system, the chief of the General Staff said on Thursday.
“We are not considering yet the issue of withdrawing from the treaty on the elimination of intermediate-range and shorter-range missiles,” Army Gen. Nikolai Makarov said at a missile defense conference in Moscow.
“The treaty has had a serious stabilizing effect on the European continent.”
He also said Russia has no plans to resume the manufacture of intermediate- and shorter-range missiles.
However, Russia is concerned by NATO’s plans for a European missile defense system, including the integration of national missile defense assets, he said.
He said earlier in the day that Russia does not exclude preemptive use of weapons against NATO missile defense systems in Europe, but only as a last resort.
The United States and NATO agreed to develop the system at a summit in Lisbon in 2010, but talks between Russia and the alliance have floundered over NATO’s refusal to grant Russia legal guarantees that the system would not be aimed against Russia’s strategic nuclear deterrent.
Russia’s military and political leadership has already warned its western partners several times that if talks fail, Russia may take a series of measures including deployment of Iskander short-range nuclear-capable tactical ballistic missiles in the Kaliningrad exclave.
NATO denies its missile defense proposals are aimed at Russia.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoFacta non Verba....(Deeds not Words)22:46, 03/05/2012Forget the talks they are designed to take you for a walk in the garden. Built them bigger, better and faster. Soon it will be to late and you will be behind the eight ball forever...
- gunshipdemocracyPoles and Rumanians as a cheap cannon fodder for USA03:19, 04/05/2012and their puppet regimes are telling that Russia is an aggressor forgetting what a cause and the effect is ;-)
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.