MOSCOW, May 28 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Blasts McFaul for Statements at Meeting with Students
- Russia Lambastes McFaul for Statements at Students Meeting
- McFaul Statement on Missile Defense ‘Arrogant’ - Lavrov
- Russia, Kyrgyzstan Sign Military Base Lease Deal
- Kyrgyz President 'Mixed Up' Over Russian Military Bases
- Kyrgyzstan Wants U.S. out of Manas in 2014
- Kyrgyz Base Will Not be Used Against Iran - U.S. Ambassador
U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul reacted on Monday to the Russian Foreign Ministry’s criticism by writing in his Twitter microblog that he is “still learning the craft of speaking more diplomatically.”
Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Monday criticized McFaul for statements he had made at a meeting with students of the Higher School of Economics in Moscow a few days earlier.
McFaul on Friday in particular told students that Russia had “bribed” Kyrgyzstan four years ago to prompt the country to shut down the U.S. military airbase in Manas airport near Kyrgyzstan's capital Bishkek. In his speech, he admitted that the United States had also offered a bribe to Kyrgyzstan, but ten times less.
“The Russian Foreign Ministry was extremely bewildered by the U.S. ambassador’s statements… His estimates of Russian-U.S. cooperation go far beyond diplomatic etiquette,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website.
McFaul’s statements “are in essence a deliberate distortion of a number of aspects of the Russian-American dialogue,” the ministry said. “This is not the first time when statements and actions of Mr. McFaul, who holds such a responsible post, cause bewilderment.”
“As we see it, the task of ambassadors is progressive development of bilateral relations with the host country on the basis of deep knowledge of facts rather than angry duplication of fairy tales through media,” it said.
“As regards Manas airport, McFaul must know better which bribes and to whom Washington gave,” the statement said.
The United States began operations at the Manas base in 2001 in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks to support military operations against the Taliban in Afghanistan. It remains a key supply facility for the ongoing military campaign there.
When Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev assumed his post in December 2011, he stated that Kyrgyzstan would not prolong the lease contract with the United States, which expires in 2014, saying that he did not want a third country carrying out a retaliatory strike against the civilian airport. Pentagon officials have since been trying to persuade the Kyrgyz authorities to change their mind.
The U.S. airbase serves now as a major transit point for supplying troops in Afghanistan. It also hosts a fleet of coalition aerial tankers for refueling fighter and surveillance aircraft used in Afghanistan. It will likely be closed down in 2014.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoUnbelievable...23:53, 28/05/2012Truly mind boggling...!!!
Why does Russia tolerate these American propagandists on its own land and in its own sphere of influence. Do they permit Russian ambassadors to propagandize to American students?
- lmA continued procrastination on the foreign stage12:38, 29/05/2012Sirko, I am asking myself and i am sure many around the world are mystify at Russia’s foreign policy which is really a sad state of serious implication, which would not do Russia any good if they don’t change their stand on the foreign stage and get serious about protecting their interest and friends.
Stop the soul searching and mental enslavement of been inferior, Russia is a strong and rich country with very intelligent people.
We can foresee one thing here after the missile shield is fully operational, something would take place with the Oil prices and the West knows once they can bring this under control they can bring down Russia to a point, after they will enter the next phase of destroying Russia.
Putin is an obstacle to the West because what the West needs is a weak president in Russia with a strong pro Western and liberal government thereby starting the sell off of Russia or even the brake up of Russia.
Putin need to groom someone for the future of Running Russia time is short.
Some Russians and Ex soviets state have to stop giving the impression that they are traitors.
Oh what a silly excuse by the US Ambassador.
- WestKazak(no title)00:03, 29/05/2012"speaking more diplomatically" means he will learn to say things without being noticed and learn to lie better. Throw him out of Russia
- SirkoHa...!!!21:33, 29/05/2012Paint him green and you have Kermit the frog..with the same I.Q.
Image Galleries: The World’s Most Notorious Prisons
Infographics: Group of Eight: Countries and Permanent Members
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
News that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin would resign in order to run for the mayoral election in September came as quite a shock. Sobyanin’s political potential is fairly dubious, not to mention his approval ratings. He has not finished many of the projects he initiated and the electoral effect from these projects is expected to come a bit later than September 2013. Sobyanin’s opponents were not entirely unprepared for this blitzkrieg.