Topic: Putin's Mideastern Tour
AMMAN, June 26 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Urges Syria, Turkey Against Clashes
- Putin to Discuss Syria, Iran During Middle East Tour
- Syrian Crisis Should Be Resolved Constitutionally - Putin
- Syrian Crisis Should Only Be Resolved by Dialogue - Putin
- Putin, Obama Urge Syria Peace But no Deal on Assad
As many Syrian neighbors as possible, including Iran, should be involved in the conflict settlement, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday.
“I believe that the more Syrian neighbors are involved in the resolution process, the better,” Putin told reporters in Jordan, the final point of his two-day Mideastern tour.
He said that each neighbor has a certain influence on the forces inside the country. “Ignoring these possibilities would be counter-productive and would complicate the process,” he said.
Putin also confirmed Russia’s position on the Iranian nuclear problem, which, according to him, “can and should be solved peacefully through negotiations.”
Putin, whose Mideastern tour began with visits to Israel and the Palestinian Authority, said the resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace agreements were possible.
“I saw that our Israeli partners are willing to make advances to the Palestinian side and Palestinians are certainly willing to resume peace talks if some previous agreements are observed,” he said.
During his visit to Jordan, Putin held talks with King Abdallah II and attended the opening ceremony of a hostel for Orthodox Christian pilgrims.
The hostel comprises a guesthouse for pilgrims, a chapel, a café and a reception hall and is located close to the site where Jesus Christ was baptized in the River Jordan.
A one-hectare plot on the bank of the Jordan River was allocated to Russia for free in July 2006 on the king’s initiative.
Thousands of Russian pilgrims visit Jordan every year and Putin praised the hostel’s opening as “a gesture of special relations.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardsEU debt crisis downgrades the range of NATO16:38, 27/06/2012NATO, North Atlantic Treaty Organization is the representative of the Interests of the European Union. As the latter is in economic recession and stagnation, NATO is being downgraded, lost usefulness inside Europe itself under the well known DEBT CRISIS.
Image Galleries: Classic Car Rally in St. Petersburg
Infographics: Global Warming: Predicting Future Disasters
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.