Topic: Protests in Syria
ROME, July 19 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia, China Block West’s UN Resolution on Syria
- Annan Reports to Clinton on His Syria Talks in Moscow
- Putin, Obama Discuss Syria Crisis
- Russia Says West’s UN Syria Resolution Supports Rebels
- Russia Submits ‘Enhanced’ Draft Resolution on Syria
The UN system is outdated, several of the organization’s rules do not reflect the needs of present times, Syrian National Council chief Abdel Basset Sayda said on Thursday following talks in Rome with Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi.
He made this statement shortly after Russia and China vetoed a Western-backed UN resolution on Syria over fears that it could lead to foreign military intervention in the violence-wracked Middle East country.
“The situation can no longer develop in that way. The UN rules are outdated,” he said.
If “Russia continues providing heavy weapons to the Syrian regime and giving political cover to the Syrian regime through the Security Council… things will spiral out of our control and the consequences will be disastrous both for Syria and for the region as a whole," Sayda said.
Sayda emphasized that in his view the Syrian regime is “in its final days.”
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- cheruskA pack of hitmen22:41, 19/07/2012The unelected Italian government is made up of Jews, like Giulio Terzi di Sant'Agata (and his former divorced wife Giulia Gori).
- bielec"Syrian opposition" chief...00:54, 20/07/2012...is not a member of the UN, he does not represent Syrians living in Syria, he is not even elected by the Syrian people. He is appointed by enemies of Syria because he is a traitor.
Now, he is seeking change in international law and international organizations that would allow foreign agents like himself, rebels, terrorists, foreign mercenaries, death squads, and common criminals to "legally" overthrow legitimate governments in sovereign countries.
Sayda should be arrested and tried by ICC for supporting and using terrorism to achieve his personal goals.
- Nico(no title)13:05, 20/07/2012Indeed. It makes me laugh when I hear members of the SNC falling over themselves to pledge a post-revolution alliance with Israel, despite the fact that any such decision would have to be made by a democratically elected Government.
But with the overthrow of the present Syrian Government, the SNC would step in and conduct "democratic" elections and, as the sole Government body, count the votes themselves.
As we've just seen in Libya, the Western, cherry-picked puppet of the transitional council would then become the head of State. Perhaps no wonder then that they are confident of fulfilling their promises.
Image Galleries: Traditional Hutsul Wedding in Western Ukraine
Infographics: Jeans: From Classic Designs to Extreme Incarnations
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.