WARSAW, August 11 (RIA Novosti)
- Poland Calls ‘Mistake’ Cooperation with U.S. over Missile Defense – President
- NATO to Provide $1Bln for Missile Defense Infrastructure
- US State Dept. Urges Russia to Cooperate on Missile Defense
- Putin Pessimistic on Missile Defense Problem
- Medvedev to Discuss Iskander Missile Production Modernization
Poland wants to cooperate with France and Germany on the establishment of its own missile defense system, Polish Press Agency reported on Saturday, quoting Polish Defense Minister Tomasz Siemoniak as saying.
“We want it [creation of the missile defense system] to happen in cooperation with France, Germany and other our allies. NATO welcomes the initiatives of the countries to build up their joint defense capabilities. This is so-called smart defense,” Siemoniak told the agency.
The minister estimated the planned Polish missile defense system at $3-6 billion.
In early August, Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said that Warsaw needed s its own missile defense shield which would be a part of the NATO missile defense system, along with the U.S. elements of the European Missile Defense that will be deployed on the Polish territory by 2018.
The United States scrapped plans in September, 2010 for an anti-ballistic-missile defense system in the Czech Republic and Poland. Moscow welcomed the move, and Russia’s then-President Dmitry Medvedev said later that Russia would drop plans to deploy Iskander-M tactical missiles in its Kaliningrad Region, which borders NATO members, Poland and Lithuania.
Last year, however, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced Washington's plans to deploy the U.S. new-generation ballistic missile defense interceptor site in Poland by 2018.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- antfrePoland to build missile defense system18:05, 11/08/2012Huurrah for Poland!
- PETEPETEPETE(no title)03:37, 12/08/2012USisrael hiding it's face by using their colonies and puppet "leftwing-rightwing" regimes, that's all.
- arsanlupinThis is stupid and counter-productive!11:07, 12/08/2012Installing a missile defense system in Poland will accomplish nothing except aggravate relations between NATO and Russia for no good reason at all. The two need to improve relations - not make them worse!
FOOLS! This will only bring back the Cold War that so many radicals want - which is the LAST thing the world needs! NATO leadership is letting the old ethnic hatred of some of its members influence its decisions - to the detriment of both the alliance and the world.
Only when people can let go of their old hatreds and bigotries can the world grow past these ancient rivalries and learn how to live and work together. Only then can we all realize our true potential.
I await the scorn and derision from all those still infected with the aforementioned ancient hatreds and bigotries with interest and amusement.
Because you are the past ... and deep down inside, you all know it. Once you bigoted haters are dead and gone, perhaps then the human race (for there never was any other race) can evolve into something better.
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.