Topic: Protests in Syria
Lakhdar Brahimi officially replaced Kofi Annan as peace envoy to Syria starting this month© AFP 2013/ Ashraf Shazly
MOSCOW, September 2 (RIA Novosti)
- Moscow Calls on U.S., EU to Lift Sanctions against Syria
- Syria Delegation Leaves Tehran Summit in Protest
- UN Chief Urges Countries to Stop Supplying Arms to Syria
- Moscow Calls for Probe into 'Terrorist Acts' in Syria
Foreign military interference into the ongoing conflict in Syria is not an option and the government of the country should be the first to end the violence, Al Arabiya news agency reported citing a new UN envoy on Syria.
Algeria’s former foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi officially replaced Kofi Annan as peace envoy to Syria starting this month.
Brahimi said that sending foreign military forces to Syria would mean a “failure of diplomatic efforts.”
“For me, this option is not available, and personally, this will be neither today nor tomorrow nor after tomorrow,” the agency cited Brahimi as saying.
The diplomat also said that “the Syrian government has to meet the people’s demand for change,” and the government’s responsibility to end the bloodshed is bigger than of the opposition.
Brahimi, 78, formally accepted the post earlier in the month and resumed efforts for a diplomatic solution to Syria's crisis.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups. The West is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad’s ouster, while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria saying the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- lmAnother Western stooge...14:33, 02/09/2012Already one can read the biasness coming from this man who wants the government to be the first to stop whiles the rebels continues to wage war inside the country.
- xama226Russia must sterilize Syri's borders23:52, 02/09/2012At the current stage of the war Russia and those who believe in international law should sterilize
Syria's borders. (Send mobile troops with attack helicopters. The rebellion will end in less tahn 10 days
Image Galleries: The Russian Cities With the Best Quality of Life
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.