BEIRUT, January 31 (RIA Novosti) - An Israeli airstrike hit a military research center in Syria on Wednesday, Syrian state news agency SANA reported, citing a statement by the Syrian army’s general command.
“Israeli fighter jets violated our airspace at dawn today and carried out a direct airstrike on our scientific and research center, which works to raise our resistance and self-defense,” the statement reads.
Syrian state TV said two people were killed and five injured in an airstrike on the Jamraya military research center northwest of the capital Damascus. The building was seriously damaged during the airstrike.
Western media reported earlier on Wednesday that the Israeli military aviation hit targets on the Syria-Lebanese border. According to Reuters, Israeli jets bombed a convoy apparently transporting weapons destined for Hezbollah. An Israeli army spokesman declined to comment on the report.
Top Israeli officials have repeatedly expressed their concern about the safety of Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile. Two weeks ago, Israel called on the UN Security Council to take urgent measures to prevent Syrian chemical weapons from falling into the hands of radical Islamist groups.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday expressed his concerns about the weapons of mass destruction in Syria, with the country "increasingly coming apart” as a result of the 22-month-long civil conflict.
Vice Premier Silvan Shalom said later that day that should Hezbollah or the rebels battling forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad obtain Syrian chemical weapons, it would become "a crossing of all red lines that would require a different approach, including preventive measures."
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- rochefortfrancoisenought!02:08, 31/01/2013Israel is playing with fire and is directly challenging Russia as a superpower. Of course neither Russia nor Syria will respond to this aggression as always and Israel will keep doing this. Can someone explain to me what a military research facility does close to this border without air defense cover? Russia will never get super power status again if it can't prevent this satanic state from bombing Russia's few remaing allies in the region. Who would like to be Russia's ally if having its protection will cost the country's dignity?
- mishkaWE can not know what s going on in fact.17:12, 31/01/2013Yes are certainly right and could explain a matter takes hundrets of pages only within a few sentences. It s like a snowball getting bigger while going on Russia's problem. Russia is not powerfull enough to protect its allies and this is why the allies have disappeared. And this makes Russia weaker.
But on the other hand how do we know Russia really wants to be a superpower again? Perhaps we just misunderstand the circumstance. Perhaps Russia looses all its allies to be able to have with a dream and fake imagination of to have the greatest ally. USA. Perhaps Russian administration thinks it s better and easier to be at U.S. side, to make cooperation with it and to be protected by it.
Perhaps the Kremlin trusts USA more than to itself to be protected.
- Veselko3What about Syria's Russian air defence .02:14, 31/01/2013We were told that Syria had a very good air defence provided by Russia !
A little bit disappointing, isn't it ?
- bielecISRAEL MUST PAY A PRICE04:13, 31/01/2013This was an unprovoked act of war. In fact, this was a crime against peace and a war crime. Israel must stop acting as if it was above international law. Israel must pay a real price for this kind of international hooliganism.
The international community MUST do something about it, even if this means blowing these war criminals from the sky. Enough is enough! Russia and China must do something about it or else the credibility of their alliances and foreign policies will be destroyed.
Since this act of aggression is now over, a wide-ranging international sanctions against Israel are in order, immediately. Do not wait for the US approval, it will not come. US is Israel's partner in crime. And don't be overly concerned about Israeli civilian population, either. This population has recently re-elected the criminal Israeli government. They are just as guilty as the government itself.
- mishkaIt s utopian.17:27, 31/01/2013You have a good dream but ONLY A DREAM.
Nobody can do it under current conditions. USreal will continue to rule the world at least for some more centuries in my opinion. Russia even could not wipe out Shaakashvili in Tbilisi. It could not take back its cargo captured by Turkey illegally in Syrian plane a few months ago. To expect Russia to challenge USrael's crimes against humanity is just an utopic dream my friends.
- tec123When will Russia smell the coffee?15:31, 31/01/2013The Russian PM is not helping with his comments about Syrian President to CNN, second as i have and many have said before Russia talks to much and do nothing to protect its interest aboard they have been constantly been kicked around.
- sohelsaheenIsreali air strike and Syrian Air Defense19:16, 31/01/2013In fact what was happened we really do not know yet clearly.May be the syrian side was reluctant to strike Isreali air craft rather was looking Isreali attack on syrain territory so that Assad can earn sympathy from here and there. I have no doubt that was the motive of Assad and co in this Isreali strike on Syrian fascilities.
Image Galleries: North Pole: Living on the Top of the World
Infographics: Powerful Ship-Borne Laser System
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The current contract portfolio of Russian arms exporters is worth about $46 billion. Annual exports total $15 billion, and this will ensure uninterrupted deliveries for the next three years, even in the worst-case scenario. The list of the main buyers of Russian weapons is unlikely to change drastically.